Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i would advise against sand due to impaction.
playsand is save if washed thoroughly.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
no, i was saying it is sfe to use playsand but i wouldnt use it personally as any sand would cause impaction :D

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't with a sand boa tho would it? (If i took him out to feed?) Is there a big risk of impaction with Leos? I've never had any feeding probs with mine. not really noticed any behaviour that might mean the sand ended up being eaten.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
with a boa i would say its fine :)
there is a kind of risk with leos as the tend to eat anything! they may get a mouthfull of sand when they catch there food. they maybe allright on sand as long as they are pooing and eating reguarly they may be fine.
personally i would not keep any lizard on sand due to the risk of impaction :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think you will get many different answers on this one. There are many people who have used different substrates very successfully and without problems.

Personally we would not recommend it due to the potential risk, hence we use paper and kitchen towel for all our Leo's, AFT's etc.

All we would say is that if you do decide to use a sand type substrate then you will certainly need to be very vigilant -and keeping an eye on your (often quite expensive) pets 24/7 is nigh on impossible. So better to be safe than sorry in our view.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts