Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys n Gals

Ive just changed a few of my T's Substrate It was ordinary peat/soil / vermiculite (I nuked the peat soil in the microwave for 5 mins to steralise it)

Ive picked up some of the Komodo Tropical Terrain Coir block and soaked it according to the instructions and squeezed out most of the excess water . Put in into the new tanks with heat mats on the bottom for 48 hrs before introdcuing my T's ( T's B Albiosum, B albiceps and a G Rosa - All Adult F) the T's have been in 24 hrs and theyre all not on the subs and even trying to get out of the Enclosure.

I have put myS/AF Salmon Pink on the same stuff and she's fine...

Is this because
a) they've had all their sub removed and are unfamilliar with their surroundings
or
b) they dont like the ne w substrate ?

has any one else had the same experience using the Komodo stuff?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Its probably still a bit damp for them.

Even after squeezing it out, it still seems to hold onto loads of moisture.............probably too much for the spiders.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Aye, your G.rosea needs a dry substrate dude. Mine did the same on fresh moist stuff. I think it would happen to a degree anyway as they have spend so much time on the other that this feels completely alien. I rehoused a Gpulchripes the other day and it wasn't hapy even though the moisture levels were closer to what it needs. 3 days later it has accepted it and has now burrowed :)

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
My G. Porteri refused to go onto substrate even slightly damp, needs to be bone dry.

You can bake the substrate in the oven to dry it out.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I tend to agree, T's dont like walking on substrate thats too damp & in the cases of them trying to escape, maybe its too humid. You had a heat mat under the enclosures for 48 hours which would have built the humidity up hell of a lot before putting the T's back. Another possibility may be the enclosures are too warm for them & the substrate is too damp for them to burrow. If they find conditions like that in the wild, they simply move on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the quick feedback

Ill open up the vents and it should dry out in a day or three...

I guess MRs Salmon pink isnt a fussy as the other dry species...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
cheers for the quick feedback

Ill open up the vents and it should dry out in a day or three...

I guess MRs Salmon pink isnt a fussy as the other dry species...
Your salmon pinks can take it a bit more damp than most. I used to flood mine occasionally without detrimental effects but mostly had a damp end and a dry end.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is exactly what I found with my G.Rosea. Although I quickly realised and prepared some new substrate, which I left to almost dry out naturally for a few days before transferring the T to the new substrate. It's a lot happier now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can mix a handful or 2 of dry vermiculite to take on some of wetness in the soil, also, have you taken the heatmats out from under the enclosures? The mats would be better running along the back walls.
Saying that, most of my brachy's avoid the substrates for the first day or so when I change it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts