Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been looking at substrates for a royal python . On a care sheet it says aspen is best . But they don't burrow do they ?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
There's lots of suggestions as to suitable substrates, from newspaper to bark chips. Whilst it has been suggested that pine is not suitable for reptiles, I've kept snakes since 1990 using pelleted wood based cat litter as a substrate without any issues.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I currently use paper kitchen roll without any problems. I am however thinking of changing to Orchid bark or Cypress mulch (which was recommended by a breeder I dealt with recently) for my Albino as she seems to be needing higher humidity than the rest.

I figure Aspen wouldn't be so good for Royals as it doesn't hold humidity well, going mouldy quite quickly. Saying that I'm no expert, just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I currently use paper kitchen roll without any problems. I am however thinking of changing to Orchid bark or Cypress mulch (which was recommended by a breeder I dealt with recently) for my Albino as she seems to be needing higher humidity than the rest.

I figure Aspen wouldn't be so good for Royals as it doesn't hold humidity well, going mouldy quite quickly. Saying that I'm no expert, just my opinion.
What are you using for your BRB?

·
Registered
15,093 Posts
Aspen is the most ideal substrate. Its sold, absorbant and completely safe. Orchid bark can be quite sharp and its also damp aswell and Royals dont need any want it to be damp and it could cause some problems.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Aubiose, half the price of Aspen and works really well.
Doesn't go mouldy like Aspen either.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There's lots of suggestions as to suitable substrates, from newspaper to bark chips. Whilst it has been suggested that pine is not suitable for reptiles, I've kept snakes since 1990 using pelleted wood based cat litter as a substrate without any issues.
I'm tempted to try this but the stuff we have for our cat smells really strong (before use - not after I mean :lol2:) it really smells like freshly sawn pine

·
Registered
311 Posts
At present my BRB is in a Rub (he's only 8 months old) with paper kitchen roll (sprayed a couple of times a day) with a large water bowl and a moss hide. However I have a viv coming for him next week so was thinking Orchid bark in there. I had heard of people having problems with mites with it though?

What are you using for your BRB?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
At present my BRB is in a Rub (he's only 8 months old) with paper kitchen roll (sprayed a couple of times a day) with a large water bowl and a moss hide. However I have a viv coming for him next week so was thinking Orchid bark in there. I had heard of people having problems with mites with it though?
I use it for both of my snakes and never had a problem with mites or anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Put in micro-wave to kill mites but, KEEP AN EYE ON IT, AND WAIT FOR IT TO COOL DOWN BFORE USE,.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Why are you replying to a 9 year old post ! - The person you replied to hasn't been active since 2014 !!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts