Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when we bought our skinks, we were given substrate which had mites in, didn't notice them untill they were every!! we got bye bye mites, and also a spray for the whole room that kills anything! so we striped every vivarium baked/microwaved/soaked in weak bleach solution/steamed cleaned/ and sprayed with bye bye mites everything (inside and outside vivs,decor,slate pieces, you name it) thats was a month ago, and they are now back in the skinks viv, help!!!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Have u tried using kitchen towel as a substrate just until all the mites have gone? They show up like beacons and it's easier to change more often. Plus the mites can't burrow or hide in it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My skink was the same when i got him...mites everywhere..on him and in all the muck he had for bedding!
I took everything out,srayed it with some sort of sray (cant remember the name) and sprayed him. kitchen roll on his floor for the next week or so and had to spray him every 2 or 3 days,change kitchen roll every day untill the buggers were no more!!
I do microwave all his bedding b4 i use it and so far touch wood they havent come back. i am using different bedding to the stuff he came to me with..not sure if that has helped as well?
Good luck with it,its a pain but u do get there in the end :D :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
just having this chat!!

hey i've just been reading in the snakes forum, that olive oil does the trick, haven't tried it myself but its worth a go, if not spk to your local vet about Frontline in reptiles.. or if your worried ring my vet Ian Calvert, hes ace with reptiles and has alot of experience the number is 01291-625205 (Chepstow Veterinary Health Centre) i wouldn't take my babies anywhere else!!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
one of my beardies had mites she went to the vet last week on tuesday the vet gave us frontline solution for her and we are using newspaper at the moment im going to get some either sand or chips today as they have all gone but ive heard mite off is good stuff i may try and get some today but i also treated both my beardies as they live together i have been disinfecting their viv daily when i change the nwespaper and seems to have worked *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah we treated the animals, and we microwaved the new subtrate before it was put in. we put it on high for 2 minutes - i dont think much could survive that! the only thing we didnt do is treat it all again :2wallbang: ... so if we start again, how much time should we leave before we do it again? i think i read some where that the mite life cyle takes some where abround three weeks... the battle begins again.... thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I bought bye bye mites its apparently very good it does fleas tick mites and lice. i treated their whole viv and i will do them in 2 days time once the frontline has got off their skin as its dangerous to mix them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts