Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have read loads of info on web pages but would love to hear from a few people who keep them!

looking at gettng a par myself as know they cant be kept seperatly,

anyone want to give me some tips or advice that they thinks worth while knowing?

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I used to have these, they are AMAZING!
I would get yourself a small 1-2 person tent for playtime with them.
This way they tame easier and faster as you would be the only 'play toy' in there.
They love waxies, but not too many.

Make sure to offer a few different sleeping areas, 1/2 nest boxes and a few pouches.

There are a few sugar glider forums around, (mostly american ones) Its worth joining up as they are full of knowledge!

Post pics when you get them, I love their little faces!!

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
They can be quite noisy at night. Well very noisy. Used to wake me up ALLLL the time. They bark and are very active little things so I wouldnt recommend them being kept in a bedroom.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Smell? Cant say I have noticed this, I certainly wouldnt compare them to the smell of a ferret at any rate! I know a few people that carry them around in glider pouches all day and I havent detected it.

Glidergirl (Marie) has lots of gliders of all ages and I cant say I have noticed an unpleasant smell from any of them even in her "glider room" - just your normal "animal-y" smell.

I suspect diet plays a major part in how much or how little they smell, I know Marie works very hard on her suggies diet.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thanks Hannah [:)]. You're absolutely correct, they shouldn't smell THAT bad! Especially if there's only 2 of them! I've kept suggies for 5 years now. Provided you have plenty of time to spend with them they are superb pets, they can bond very well to you. BUT, and it's a big but ... people underestimate the amount of time you need to spend with them in order for them to bond, does 2 - 3 hours a night in a small tent sound good to you? One of the main reasons people sell their suggies is because they find they just don't have the time to give them.

I would definately recommend you get a same sex pair, you should find that it's the entire males that cause the most smell due to the active scent glands. A female and neutered male, or two neutered males or 2 females are all possible combinations. I wouldn't recommend a breeding pair as there is a lot of work involved in breeding and it's not for the faint hearted, you need to understand that YOU'RE doing something wrong if they eat their joeys!!

They are noisy at night, another main reason for people getting rid of them, you need to bear in mind they are nocturnal, they will play, squabble, run in their wheel and bark at the moon (NO!! I'm NOT kidding!) while you are trying to sleep.

Have a look HERE for the only UK suggie forum which is full of lots of useful information. :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Every sugar glider i have met has stunk not like a ferret but they have a certain "bo" and i have found they leave little pee spots everywhere that smell i am just talking from expierence maybe it was the people i met that stunk:grin1: and they just blaimed the sugar gliders but there has been a very distinct odor in the homes of sugar gliders that i have visited maybe i need to go to glider girls house to restore my view of them!!:lol2:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
All animals have a smell, but poor husbandry and a bad diet can increase that smell. They do wee yes, but all animals do that too, they don't have any bladder control so if you're worried about pee and poo then don't get a glider. But it's not like it's all the time, they wee to scent things and they wee when their bladder is full, they don't urinate constantly though. :smile:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
dont get me wrong they are fantastic animals and make wonderful pets i think if you have a good care sheet with correct dietary needs then you will be fine hopefully going by what glidergirl said they shouldnt smell just ignore me i have never kept them only met other peoples

1 - 11 of 11 Posts