Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have come to the conclusion like the rest of my lot my chile rose elvira has lost her mind she keeps walking up the glass and onto the mesh lid of her exo terra then she sort of hangs there then she falls down and does it again this is something she has done a couple of times now and i watch her and check for any possible injury but she has been lucky so far
so should i worry or is this just one of her little quirks i lost one chile last year after a bad shed and i dont want to lose another

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
How far is she falling?
How big is the spider?
: victory:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
yeh, point is, it sounds like living environment is wrong. they will usually only pace when theyr uncomfortable in the enclosure

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she only does it when its hot so im guessing its to warm in there as normally she just sits and does the usual absolutely nothing

·
Registered
398 Posts
One thing wierd that my chilli does !!

I normally after misting the sides of the tank, put cling film over the top for a day or so to up the humidty without using too much water ( He hates wet substrate )..

But when I take the clingfilm off the first thing he does is comes to the top of the tank where the perforated top allows fresh air in ( well as fresh as it can be in my study ) !!! It almost seems like it is smelling the outside world !!!

It could be that he just has nasty spider farts that cant escape when tank is sealed/ could be boosting oxygen levels / could be regulating temperature /etc etc etc

Any suggestions as to why he goes Climbing at these times and not others ?????

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Because he will be escaping the humidity Chris. Rosea don't like or need humidity. It won't need misting, jst a small water bowl kept topped up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Because he will be escaping the humidity Chris. Rosea don't like or need humidity. It won't need misting, jst a small water bowl kept topped up.
Hi Becky

How about if I'm suspecting a moult coming up ???
Can they gain enough ambient moisture from just drinking ???
Always worried about moults going wrong !!!!!

Many Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Hi Becky

How about if I'm suspecting a moult coming up ???
Can they gain enough ambient moisture from just drinking ???
Always worried about moults going wrong !!!!!

Many Thanks

Chris
although not the hottest of deserts, its certainly rivalling the drest in the world, the Attacama desert is part of their habitat. some parts havent seen rain in over 400years!
In fact the temperature at night can reach as low as-5c, our chile roses haveto endure this to some extent, theyr hardy:)
they get ALL moisture in the wild, from prey items, and any additional is from th early morning, late evening dew on the plants.
even when molting, they are3 fine with humidity lower than 40%..just supply a water dish. They dont even need any heatmat or anything, Grammastola sp. are brilliant

·
Registered
398 Posts
Cheers Cam

Always tried to give the critter some moisture without adding too much water !!!
Hey Live & Learn something everyday !!!!!!

Cheers fella

Chris

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yeah. My 2 Chile's have milk bottle lids as water bowls and that's all they have! Their substrate is bone dry. Both wouldn't walk on the floor for days when they went in their tanks that had new substrate, as it was damp.

They do fine :D

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Cheers Cam

Always tried to give the critter some moisture without adding too much water !!!
Hey Live & Learn something everyday !!!!!!

Cheers fella

Chris
exactly, we all learn stuff all the time:)
i found out some stuff about which species carries which urticaceous hairs:whistling2:
interesting but what a nerd:p

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My chile rose won't go near any damp substrate, but often has long drinks ou of her water bowl : victory:
To the OP, my chile rose used to do that aswell, she'd also hang off the roof by her fangs aswell.
I changed her substrate completely, from vermiculite to peat and kept the substrate dry, gave her shorter tank and I also gave her a bigger hide.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Was that with the hands on approach :whistling2::whistling2:

Cheers

Chris
might as well be, lol
still itching atm from extracting the failed sac from my blondi, lol
got my pampho next, and posibly have my apoph coming up...but only she knows if and when

·
Registered
398 Posts
might as well be, lol
still itching atm from extracting the failed sac from my blondi, lol
got my pampho next, and posibly have my apoph coming up...but only she knows if and when

May I suggest

:whistling2::whistling2::whistling2:

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
ok in which case can i pose questions

i was told my chilean rose will need humidity and to spray his exoterra viv 2 or three times a week. should i?
we live in east of scotland.
plus i was told to give him that gel stuff called spider and cricket water to prevent him from drowning is this ok?
and to give him a heat mat under 1/2 the viv

he is currently around 4 inches and is in an exo terra viv 12x12 x12
substrate is, lower spider brick with coconut bark on top, he has a v shaped log which is draped with spagnum moss and a half flowerpot for a hide (he does not use this as yet and has chosen to go behind the v log half way up nestling on the spagnum).

should i not mist?

he is my first so no nothing about their behaviour so reading as much as i can for info

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
i was told my chilean rose will need humidity and to spray his exoterra viv 2 or three times a week. should i?
we live in east of scotland.
plus i was told to give him that gel stuff called spider and cricket water to prevent him from drowning is this ok?
and to give him a heat mat under 1/2 the viv

he is currently around 4 inches and is in an exo terra viv 12x12 x12
substrate is, lower spider brink with coconut bark on top, he has a v shaped log which is draped with spagnum moss and a half flowerpot for a hide (he does not use this as yet and has chosen to go behind the v log half way up nestling on the spagnum).

should i not mist?

BTW, welcome to the forum!:welcome:

thanks in advance
youv been told twaddle, G rosea are from one of the driest places in the world.
They never need humidity, or spraying, and the gel harbors bacteria and stuff. just use water n a dish, as long as its not a paddling pool, i wouldnt worry too much about your spider drowning theyr not that stupid normally. lol
let your enclosure dry out toally, bone dry.. only give him a water dish: victory:
sorry to contradict what youv been told, but they told you crap:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts