Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been researching into getting a Leopard Gecko, as these seem to be the best starter lizard!

Can't deal with feeding pinkies etc, otehr wise I would get a snake, and the egg eating snakes are not all that common :mf_dribble:

So I was looking at this viv Exo Terra Glass Terrarium 30x30x45cm (h)

Do you think this would be big enough for 1 Leo?

Thanks
Vicky

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
I'd say a 30cm x 30cm (12"x12") isn't big enough for a leo ~ most recommend at least a 24"x 12" (60cm x 30cm) for a single leo

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool.

See this is why I love this site :)

Thanks.

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Just want to say that you`re doing absolutely the right thing by coming on here, and trying to gather as mcuh info about the rep you`d like to get - and then making a decision AFTER you`ve taken into account what ppl have to say ;)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
TBH...a lot of starter kits are naff. I bought the supposedly "recommended by Joe Bloggs, and loads of good reviews" Komodo starter kit...It was rubbish..came with no thermostat, only one hide, no calci pot, all glass, so hard to heat...wasnt cheap either!

Find someone to build you a nice viv (Lily now has a Vivexotic, lx24, about £40 online) and then all you need is a couple of hides (can use marg tubs, or bog roll tubes, a moist hide (with moss or kitchen roll), heat mat, couple of thermometers, and a thermostat...oh and a flooring...big debate of that. Most use floor tiles or lino, or kitchen towels

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TBH...a lot of starter kits are naff. I bought the supposedly "recommended by Joe Bloggs, and loads of good reviews" Komodo starter kit...It was rubbish..came with no thermostat, only one hide, no calci pot, all glass, so hard to heat...wasnt cheap either!

Find someone to build you a nice viv (Lily now has a Vivexotic, lx24, about £40 online) and then all you need is a couple of hides (can use marg tubs, or bog roll tubes, a moist hide (with moss or kitchen roll), heat mat, couple of thermometers, and a thermostat...oh and a flooring...big debate of that. Most use floor tiles or lino, or kitchen towels
Yeah I was originally looking at the starter kits, but they seem to be so much money for not alot, and like you say not many of them even include a thermostat. :gasp:

I will definately be researching a bit more, as I don't want to get anything wrong lol.

And I know everyone on her is super helpful :2thumb: best place to get advice, me thinks.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
hehe, yes..peeps on here are great.

One thing I have learned tho, is not all Leos are "normal" with regards to what they need (if that makes sense) Lily loves her viv, always out and investiagting, and im forever rearranging her viv, adding new things, taking things out. BUT Ludo, hates vivs...wont feed, just hides, not liking being handled 9even a bit snappy) and doesnt move..on the advice of a rep shop, bought him a rub (read as wilkos version) and he's a different boy altogether, does the same as Lils in her viv...Yet when I first got into Leos "vivs are the only way, they like to be able to see out etc etc"

hope that makes some sense!

·
Registered
18,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe, yes..peeps on here are great.

One thing I have learned tho, is not all Leos are "normal" with regards to what they need (if that makes sense) Lily loves her viv, always out and investiagting, and im forever rearranging her viv, adding new things, taking things out. BUT Ludo, hates vivs...wont feed, just hides, not liking being handled 9even a bit snappy) and doesnt move..on the advice of a rep shop, bought him a rub (read as wilkos version) and he's a different boy altogether, does the same as Lils in her viv...Yet when I first got into Leos "vivs are the only way, they like to be able to see out etc etc"

hope that makes some sense!
Ah I see, so they have their little personalities then :lol2:
I like the names, and isn't Ludo the cute monster thing out of the Labyrinth (love that movie!!) :flrt:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts