Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You're having us on arn't you Mr Cheung? I don't think anyone will bite. If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dodgy?

This wasn't a scam but a VERY dodgy transaction.

I saw this ad saturday and contacted him immediatly.
He told me to meet him at a London subway station which i did and then he handed me a plastic carrier bag with nothing in it but a freezing cold Tort!!!! I gave it a quick check, gave him £30 and fled.
He seems to be in good health other than the slight doming but i guess only time will tell.
I have researched Sulcata's heavily but if anyone has any concerns with health judging by the pics, please contact me and let me know.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
This wasn't a scam but a VERY dodgy transaction.

I saw this ad saturday and contacted him immediatly.
He told me to meet him at a London subway station which i did and then he handed me a plastic carrier bag with nothing in it but a freezing cold Tort!!!! I gave it a quick check, gave him £30 and fled.
He seems to be in good health other than the slight doming but i guess only time will tell.
I have researched Sulcata's heavily but if anyone has any concerns with health judging by the pics, please contact me and let me know.
Sorry, but you've been conned !

He asked $ 30.00, so you should have given him £ 16.00.

I'd would ring him and demand my change, unless he's willing to give you another tort as a gesture :roll:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well done, but is it a Sulcata?
very good question!!!
It looks alot like one but i wont be sure until a knowlegeable keeper assures me.
Does anyone have a thought on the matter?
I'm just sorting his table out 6ftx3ft so he'll have pleanty of room!!!!!

And about the $30=£16, i shall be writing a formal letter of complaint to the seller and request the £14 he scammed me!!:x
He is a fantastic animal and will have a perminant home with me.
just goes to show if you take a chance on things it pays off now and again:jump:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Any pictures?if it is a Sulcata i hope you are prepared for the size of a fully grown adult! :shock:

·
Registered
600 Posts
A very very strange sequence of events there, the guy selling obviously had no idea what he was selling. :bash: Don't suppose it's too far hoping that you recieved any documentation with it? Also some Reptiles can be micro-chipped. not sure bout Tortoises but it may be worth asking a local vet to run a scan over it??

To me it looks nothing like a Sulcata, we have 5 at Amazonia and the manager is a tortoise expert and even he said it can't be a Sulcata.

Maybe it's a hybrid of some sort? Is it male/female?

Can't imagine a smaller species of Tortoises wanting a male Sulcata on their back :shock:

Let us know if you find out what breed/sex/age it is.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
most tort that have licenses need to be microchipped at about 3 or 4 years old.

the bloke who had all those torts nicked ended up in hospital with a major heart attack!! he was only 30!!! but i think they were all hermans......not 100% sure though!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I think £30 is cheap enough for a tort!
Come on Christy, he paid almost twice as much as the asking price, surely he must be gutted :lol2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
We had several Sulcata's stolen from Amazonia in 2004, they were hatchlings that we had on special display. Someone was supposed to be watching them constantly, until they popped to the toilet and came back to find 4-5 of them stolen :cry: :cry:

I still can't believe that's a Sulcata. I'll try and post a pic of our full grown male Nigel. Any way to upload pics that aren't hosted on the net??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just has some good news!!!!
100% sure he is a Sulcata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But he added..
The shell is of correct shape but the pyramiding of scutes is caused by calcium deficiency. Either he needs more calcium or more uv to metabolize it or both. It's not a horrible case of pyramiding and it is easily corrected though he will forever have a bumpy hat:)

Looks like i got myself a little bargain i'm soooooo happy:lol2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
sulcata tortoise

If you had read his other posts you'd see he's reasonable guy .Got yourself a bargin alright....
I say good on him that he reolized he wasn't doing something right and has vertually given it away to someone who's got more know how !!.
You'd be amazed howmany folks out there don't even know if there is something not quite going right till is to late.I for one feel he's done the right thing for the tortoise.
Vicki

:bash:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts