Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am interested in this type of tortoise, mainly due to the extent of its size as I dont really want something too small if you remember me saying in an old post. recently found a pic of on with a dog yet i thought they were a bit nasty to be honest. Are they friendly enough to live alongside other animals?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh i know how big they grow, thats why thats the one im interested in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
im not against the idea or anything but there is so much misconception about their size on the internet, the reason for this is that not many ppl if any keep adult sullys so ot many ppl know for sure how big they grow. i found a pic the other day of a 19 year old 150 lb sully, one this size would need about 5 times the average garden to get adequate grazing and exercise.

·
Registered
121 Posts
look at the size of the sully to the mans hands, u couldnt lift this tortoise, in fact it would probably chew through your ankle if it wanted

:lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh i do realise how big they get, i realise what i'd be getting into, im just more bothered about their temperament as someone told me they can be a bit aggressive.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I'd love one too! :D

Someone who lives not too far away from me owns one. but one day they had the builders in and had to lock the huge beast in the garage. The tort virtually destroyed the garage door to escape the garage as it was used to being in the garden lol.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol sounds fun to me :D i dont want it to atatck my brother though and i dont want it to do big stinking turds everywhere.

are they pretty hardy outside then? it doesnt get too cold for them outside approaching winter at all?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh i know to do that i meant if they go outside before hibernating. or should i just give one artificial UV?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Think it would depend on weight and age.
My hermanns i don't hibernate yet, though he is 7 yrs old. Just feel abit happier doing it this way until hes a bit older

·
Registered
121 Posts
oh my god!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: sulcatas do not hybrinate, are u serious about getting one because if you are you should know they do not hybrinate, they cost an absolute fortune to keep warm through the winter

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im not getting a tortoise til next year carl. I am asking about their temperament before i research deeply into them. If you don't want me to get one for whatever reason thats fine but maybe you don't feel you could handle one but I'm not sure yet as I havent had time to find out everything before you're jumping down my throat.

And reptilerescueden suggested they hibernate and so thats where the conversation came from. Nevermind though, i'll take it to PM's instead so u don't have to get too worked up over nothing.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I could never go and buy one as my elec bill here is 35 a week so no bloody chance on that lol

BTW though i know little about them i must add i do make it my business to know about any animal that comes into the rescue.. so for future reference lol if any is think of sending one in i promise to do my research lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
just for the record so that u know, they can gorw to around a quarter of a ton or 240lbs if u prefer and almost 3ft scl which means even bigger from head to toe.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i already know the size just not the temperament. nevermind, my threads getting nowhere. i'll find someone on the other forum instead

·
Registered
121 Posts
i dont know why u are being so paranoid, i havent jumped down your throat at all, ive suppled a nice photo and ive only offered info that you may not know as the info out there is so contradicting: and you didnt even know that they didnt hybrinate so i was just looking out for the poor sully that ends up in your care. get a grip :roll:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the poor sully that ends in my care? i never even said i was definatly getting one, hence why i asked about temperament not size or any other details for that matter.

None of my animals are mistreated and all have been researched before i've even paid a deposit on them, never mind bringing them home. So please keep ur opinions of my reptile care to urself when u have never met me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts