Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have 10 sun beetle grubs waiting to hatch. They have been in their cocoons for nearly 6 weeks. How long will it take for them to hatch? They are in a glass tank 45cm cube. I've put in leaf litter. Do i need to put any food in their? Does it need Misting?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Time depends on certain factors but it should be any day now.
At this time if you pick one up and slowley turn it. If its still a pupa it will roll if theres a beetle inside you wont feel any movement. You can even break a tiny hole in the top of the cocoon and take a peak inside. If still a pupa i put a leaf on the hole and place it back in the soil. If its a beetle you can either wait and see or make the hole slightly bigger and it will soon come out.
Dont mist the cocoons. But the adults will need misting yes. Adults will eat fruit, bannana is a fav. When fruit is soft its best.
The larvae eat leaf litter. Oak or beech. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Some of the cocoons are 3/4 coccons and can see the crysalis inside. Will have to be patient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.