1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
bit expensive! :shock: I'd need 2 for my bd viv, that would be nearly £100

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
They look quite smart but as said to kit any of my viv's out with that would cost £100+ :eek:mg: I wonder if you could make something very simular with paper mashay or something?? Would be miles cheaper... don't know how you'd paint it mind?? Answers on a postcard

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
with paint,cant find a postcard.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
markhill said:
with paint,cant find a postcard.
My sides are splitting! lol

Some paint can be toxic and paint might not look as good as a spray can... you also need the varying brown colour to give it a good look. Couldbe difficult I don't know :roll:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Ive never tried this but could there not be a way of making sand stick to it instead of painting then give it a couple of layers of varnish.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
tombraider said:
Ive never tried this but could there not be a way of making sand stick to it instead of painting then give it a couple of layers of varnish.
spray glue.... then sand.... then paint... then seal with something non toxic :) or dont paint if you dont want too...

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
well i once made some hides out of paper mache and they turned out ok and i didnt even bother sealing them. they probably wouldnt have been any good for any reps that required high humidity though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok

to stick sand on to any thing and you dont need varnish after. use pva its non toxic when cured allso you could use different coloured sands.and expanding foam on a piece of ply cut to shape then coverd in grey tile adhesive.looks good.done my self on one of the kids school projects.full marks :wink:

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Thats the stuff I keep meaning to buy when Im out , expanding foam, but I have a terrible memory :lol: Ive seen some really good photos of vivs on this forum using that stuff for back grounds and caves.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok

dont forget you can sink plastic containers in for caves or plants or even water just make sure there easy to wipe out

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i used to build scenery in a pervious job and what i used to use is solid insulation panels, if you want some real big depth just bond a couple of panels together.

then take a scalpel or screwdriver and shape the insulation to what you want,(after shaping pick at it to make crevises etc) at this stage it wont look out special but something like poster paint/standard bathroom emulsion applied to this will give a non toxic finish. if you want texture mix sand/grit etc into the paint as if you leave it on the surface it will eventually rub off, especially if a snake likes to rub against it! if mixed with paint it will be more robust but still have texture.

ill pop into the loft and get some pics of an example piece i kept.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
:lol: cheers matey, been a while since ive done them so i would have to have a play around first but its easy to do, just give it a try!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts