Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of last August ,I went away from home,leaving my keys to a neighbour to feed the animals for a few days.

This idiot,in spite of all my warnings,opened the viv in which i kept a breeding pair of Pachydactylus turneri,Turner's thick-toed geckoes.Both went suddenly out of their hides,my neighbour was scared out of surprise,and let the tank wide open,so both geckoes escaped in my flat.

When I went back,other neighbours could feel the walls tremble because of my shouting against this twat.I thought these geckoes would probably die,I looked for many days behind and under furniture,but they are fast,grey-coloured,small (about 6'' long),don't make noise and can climb walls,all reasons to make them really hard to spot even when they are a foot away from your nose.

Just to relieve my keeper's consciousness,I let a few crickets wander in my flat to serve as food items "just in case",but after a few weeks,i had lost all hopes.

About 3-4 weeks ago,I found the male perfectly alive and well,with a fat belly and in perfect condition.

I have just caught the female in my bathroom,she was quietly walking on the bathroom wall.She has lost her tail,I don't know how,but it has already started to regrow on about 3/4 an inch.Otherwise,she is in the same perfect condition as the male.

1)Never give up the idea of finding back an escaped gecko in your home.Except for day geckoes(phelsumas) ,I have always noticed they do never leave the flat,even when you frequently open your windows.

2)This species is known to be hardy ,but not more than another,i.e. not more than a leo or a Moorish gecko for example.So ;as it is not the first case in my flat,they both survived more than 4 months with only some few crickets to feed upon,no heat source other than the normal room temperature,no UV lights,no clean water (this is an enigma to me-how did they drink?From toilets? :shock: ) ,we clearly underestimate the ability for survival of many of our reps and some of us simply worry too much for too little concerns.They have had perfect sheds,neither of them is wounded,and they eat well.

Hope this will help a bit desperate people because their geckos escaped in their house,and also those who worry too much about a few °F less or too much with many reptile species (I would not say the same for leaf-tail geckos who would have died out of unsufficient moisture or of snakes who would have tried to escape to the outside).As for snakes,I had a young KSB once who managed to find his way out of the Pen Pal Box it was kept in.My female neighbour knocked at my door with a smile,asking:
-does that little snake in my bath tub belongs to you?Is it dangerous?"
Luckily for me,she was really nice.And the KSB simply used the air flow system between both our flats to find his way to have a bath with my pretty neighbour.Did he take unconscious voyeur examples out of his keeper,I wonder. :lol:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here she is,just 5 minutes ago,after 4 months of escape.See by yourself she is not skinny at all.Thanks to Kev for helping me with this BlueTooth crap which was hepful to transfer this pic from my phone to the PC. :wink:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Wow, well done for finding them thorr :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Nice one Thorr!

It is true that many people under estimate the hardyness of lizards (not that they shouldn't be cared for correctly mind). People have had snakes dissapear for years only to re-appear out of nowhere!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts