Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there this was found by a mat where i live

his dad whants him to take it to the RSPCA is this the best option?

he found it in his garage this morning it was cold and in active. its now inside in a box and is quite energetic. should we offer it food? should we put it back and let it hybernate? i have no idea what to suggest... any help please, thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i wouldnt take it to the rspca, i would advertise in the local paper for the owner but ensure that the ppl have pictures to prove ownership.
In the meantime you could keep it yourself by allowing it to heat up under a 60 or 100 watt spot bulb and allowing it out in the garden to get a bit of sun and eat some weeds, if you cant find the owners and you dont want to keep it then there are plenty of tortoise enthusiasts like myself and josh that would be willing to offer the tortoise a good home.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Hi where are you - I do know of someone who has spent the last week looking for a tortoise lost from her garden and is very distressed about the loss :( Pictures will help as Med torts can all look very similar to the untrained eye when young. I would not put it in the garden or it will dig straight down again at this time of year unless restricted in an enclosure with a bottom.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Also worth mentioning is that if you put this little tortoise in to hibernate it will likely die as it has to have specific treatment while winding down etc. Temps have to wind down slowly while it's gut is emptying and weights need to be checked against its carapace measurement. Could you show a pic of the underneath please. Has it had anything to drink as it will dehydrate quickly at this size if kept under lights with no water supply. Soak daily in warm water up to it's chin.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Hi Gaboon, Judging by the size of the young tort, and using your keyboard as a gauge, it appears to be approx. 12 months old? and by the looks of it a cb tort?. Also it does look like a hermanns (skin colouration on head and limbs)...Sue/wizzasmum is right, the way the weather has changed, the tort will just dig into the earth if you put it outside for any length of time, because at this time of the year (bearing in mind your location) the torts instincts will be to cool down. Going back to the torts approx. age, and because of this, the owners must live quite close to were it was found, so I am sure a lost notice in the local shop/papers could happen, you may even get the owners knocking on doors for it. Just ask a lot of relevant questions, because loads of people could try and claim this tort, also ask to see an article 10 certificate for the tort, by who ever claims it too...Again, as suggested warm baths giving it an chance to drink water, and it takes 2 seconds to pick some dandelion leaves for it to eat :wink: ...T.T. 8)

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
One of the hatchlings I sold last year is also missing and has a mark which would make it easily identifiable. It's not in the same area as mentioned but with people stealing and selling on it's always a possibililty. Do you have any clearer pics of the tortoise please, from the front and above!
Sue

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tort has been given back to its owners who live next door to my mate. sorry for any false hope :?

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Oh well that's a relief - I love a happy ending :)
I owuld like to take the opportunity to ask though if anyone lives in the Bolton area or in the Oxford area, to keep an ear open for anyone having found a hatchling tortoise or of anyone trying to sell one without papers ( as often happens)
Thanks in advance :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts