Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that the search function is refusing to work while I'm using my phone, so I'm sorry if there have been a million and one threads about this kind of thing.

In early october, I found myself rescuing a Royal. She was kept in an old converted fish tank that was too big (4x2x2) too cold (an 11x11inch heat mat) and left her too exposed (no hides, whatsoever.)

She was refusing to feed apart from a hamster once a month at best, and I'm not surprised really. The good news is, she's now in a smaller (wooden) viv, with a bigger mat, more places to hide, and has been feeding like a trooper. Since October, she has gone from 1018g (4ft, 4inches) to 1498g.

Now that she's gotten up to a decent weight, and is obviously thicker bodied as a result, I'm thinking of changing her over to Ceramics as her heat source. I'm just a little confused as to what wattage bulb I'll need for a viv that measures 36x18x18?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Probably best investing in a new one TBH mate, pulse or dimmer. The ministat 100 is an on/ off stat and could shorten the life of the ceramic, additionally the 100 in the title means it is suitable for up to 100w loads. Should you change to a larger viv in the future - or for any other reason require a larger ceramic - then it would obviously be problematic.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably best investing in a new one TBH mate, pulse or dimmer. The ministat 100 is an on/ off stat and could shorten the life of the ceramic, additionally the 100 in the title means it is suitable for up to 100w loads. Should you change to a larger viv in the future - or for any other reason require a larger ceramic - then it would obviously be problematic.
Ah, gotcha. I'll put a pulse stat on the shopping list then : victory:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure you get a ceramic heater fitting too not an ordinary one or you will end up with it melting, smoking and fire...:gasp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts