Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all

I have been away some time from here and thought i would come back after a lengthy hiatus. When i was a frequent poster, there was a huge push on the issues that Enigma syndrome causes in Leopard Geckos. From what i remember at the time, samples were sent to a member (i think it was Mal?) to score the severity of the syndrome and this testing/research was done over a period of time.

I was wondering if a) this is still going on or b) if it is not, what were the outcomes of said study?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Reactions: ..:: F1D0 ::..

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Wow. This is the first time I have visited RFUK forum in a very long time. What a nice surprise to see that after all this time there is still interest in TESS.
The results should still be available by the above link. If not please drop me a line and I will send you a copy.
Sadly the results were worst than I expected. They did however bring around a bit of a reduction in the number of Enigmas being bred from. Unfortunately time has passed and people have forgotten,are unaware or simply choose to ignore the risks involved with Enigmas.

The new White and Yellow morph provided an alternative to Enigmas without the neurological issues. Unfortunately this isn't enough for some and Enigmas and White and Yellow have been crossed. I have a feeling it won't be too long before we are seeing what appears to be ES symptoms in the W&Y morph. It's inevitable that some White and Yellow /Enigma cross hatchlings will be sold as W&Y without the presence of the Enigma gene being identified. Why the two morphs have to be combined is beyond me. There again I can't understand why people are still breeding Enigmas but it's not my place to judge. I have a number of Enigmas with ES and it's heartbreaking when they have flare ups of their symptoms.

Reactions: ..:: F1D0 ::..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both. I am at work at the moment so will have a look at the results tonight when i am at home. Out if interest, is it in a downloadable format? Or all web based?

Kind regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts