Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this T (thrixopelma pruriens) for 9years, she was fairly big when I got her so she's in her teens anyway.
Shes always been extremely laid back and pretty inactive.
She is not due a moult and the conditions are exactly the same as they have been for the past 9yrs.

I gave her 2 crickets 2 nights ago and I checked today and they were still there. This is not like her at all, shes always been a good feeder.
I took the crickets out and had a look at her, on closer inspection she is is holding her chelicerae about 3-4mm apart apart, I used a paint brush to gently move her into a better position for me to see, which caused her to attempt to kick hairs (another thing she has never ever done in the 9yrs I've had her..but then I've never had need to poke her about before), I say attempt because she did it so very slowly and I didn't see a single hair move.
So either she's just not very good at it or shes very lethargic.

I managed to get a look at her mouth and I certainly can't see anything that looks abnormal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Spray the tank to increase the humidity a touch and add a little heat if there is none. If shes just moulted it can take them a while to eat. Try feeding her something soft such as a wax worm and try and get her to eat that.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've increased the humidity and she was already heated, she moulted about 6months ago but being a teenager she doesn't moult much these days!

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Oh ok then just feed her something soft like a wax worm. Has she got anything in her fangs as she might of caught a bug that had wondered into her tank lols.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Ive only ever dealt with one thrixopelma and that was in work. Was brought by a customer complaining it was lethargic. After a few weeks it perked up and is now eating. Just a quick question does it have a hide and enough substrate to burrow in?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup she has a hide and loads of substrate, she doesn't burrow though just makes piles.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh now she's gone bald.

Well, just a wee bit... she's got a bald patch on her bum (revealing quite lovely metallic purple skin) I know this is normal for moulting T's but... she's not due to moult! Also, she has never ever got a pre-moult bald patch before.
BUT she's also put down a load of webbing.... but she's not due to moult!

She can't be due to moult, shes a teenager and she moulted about 7mths ago!

Mind you...
My AF B. Smithi is 9 and she moulted completely unexpectedly a few weeks ago... only 6months after her last moult.... its been years since her moults were that close together!

Whats going on!!!!!!

I hope the old girl is just moulting, I adore her and would be so sad if she was on her way out :(

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, shes never even had so much of a sniff of boys

·
Registered
84 Posts
if you fed her quite regularly then thatmight be why she's moulting so soon. My rose hair moulted in march an then again in june and is ready to moult again so just cause she's an adult dont mean its unusual if she is moulting. The bald patch could be where she has put some hairs on the webbing ready to moult, an just maybes more than last time when she moulted

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She wasn't being fed anymore than usual.

But!

She has moulted!
YAY! She is gorgeous :D

:flrt:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts