Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a ferret this evening that was found wandering. The person who "found" it assumes its male and entire.
I have offered the littleb blighter a home either temp till owner can be found or permenate if no one comes forward.

I don't know any of the details about the ferret we still are not even sure of sex. Our local animal shelter have been informed and so have the towns veterinary surgery.

However what else should i do to ensure that every possible avenue is covered to find the owner. The people who have "him" now say hes real friendly so hes obviously been cared for very well.

Also i will need guidence on introducing "him" to my boys! Will it make a difference that he is entire and they are all castrated my eldest is 3 and the two brothers are 2.

All advice welcome.
Marina:)

P.S obviously i am not going to be able to call anyone till he comes back here as i dont have any information i dont even know where he was found so this post is a bit premature.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Notify the RSPCA (They can put it in their lost & found database), local Ferret rescues, Vets, small animal rescues, and if you want to cover every avenue, fliers can be put up on gates, sign posts etc, and also in local corner shops, pet shops and news agents.

As I'm sure you'll be aware he'll need 2 weeks quarantine before being introduced to your boys, after that just introduce him as normal. When we took on strays or surrenders we usually said 7 days, after that if no owner is found they would be micro-chipped to us and held back or re-homed.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye hes in a G'pig cage at the mo that i have asked to borrow till i am sure he is safe in with my boys.

We tried to introduce a cousin of theirs july 2008 and it failed they were evil to him and he was peeing and pooing all over the floor he was so scared but all was fine to begin with then they started sytematically attacking him.

So i will need step by steps i think.

·
Registered
802 Posts
yeah he would need to be neutered before u introduce him to yours.
especially this time of the year as the males are already becomming hormonal and he would start dragging yours around and eventually will mate/hump them.

As already said you need to keep him 7 days before he is yours and sound like u are doing what u can to find his owners already.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would he really??

I dont have any experience of males being around males at this time of year.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I had a very similar senario a few years ago... entire male found wandering around marlow area, was deposited on me. All of mine were neutered and this male who I didnt allow any where near any of mine because he had over fifty ticks all over him and was pretty flea ridden was going mental in the direction of my guys. He was clearly happy to attack them.
Best of luck with him, If you keep him, I'd get him neutered anyway. Entire males stink....

Kat

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
According to the police. Private people have to wait 28 days before you can class it as your own.

I know this because we have many things dumped on us.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The 28 days is for cats and dogs.
there is actually no legal requirements for ferrets and how long to hold them but most people hold them for 7 days and do their best to find the owners.

Sadly entire males get very hormonal this time of year and in spring.
They will hump/mate what they can even if its male.
He will also drag and rag them often making their necks sore and bleed.
We have also had entire males in who have killed cage mates.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have bitten off more than i can chew here but i will go and see what i can do because after all is said and done there still is no guarantee that the ferret is male they are just guessing because of the smell but if the ferret has been living rough for how long perhaps living rough has caused the smell.

I know how bad males smell, i bred my first female to get my little boys. I'm picking it up at 6.30pm.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Im sure you will be just fine - just mean you need to get him castrated before u put him in with yours.

Keep us updated and if you do find that for some reason he is more then you can handle sent me a pm as Im sure we can help him somehow

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thing is though he can't stay in the small cage for long and i can't castrate him till i am sure there is no owner to be found!!

Going to get him now.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
best of luck with him! iv taken on lost/dumped ones before and they do come right in the end trust me! :2thumb: if you have any probs feel free to pm me, i dont pretend to be anything resembleing an expert but iv kept ferrets for a long time. quick thought: r u on the british ferret club forum? theres a lost and found section on there. good luck!!!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks the prognosis is not good.

I have just this minute finished attending to his needs.

1: He's is covered in millions of ticks, grey and white ones, engorged and some that have only just attatched and too small to get out without sedatation or chemical.

2: He has a tumour on his back that needs treatment.

3: Hes old with no winter coat and possibly incontinent.

4: Hes had his face in food since he was found and is just eating eating eating so i am worried he has something adrenal going on.

I phoned the out of hours vets and they agreed to see him we talked money and they said they were unprepared to accept a payment plan in less than more than two cash settlements. I said i have NO money. They said to phone the RSPCA to get funding.
I phone RSPCA they said that they can't get funding for his treatment if i intend to keep him so i have to give him up to get him the treatment he needs.
Sadly i fear this will mean Euthanisation

I can't stop crying fo the poor fella hes in such a bad state and needs a vet but mine won't touch him.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Well folks the prognosis is not good.

I have just this minute finished attending to his needs.

1: He's is covered in millions of ticks, grey and white ones, engorged and some that have only just attatched and too small to get out without sedatation or chemical.

2: He has a tumour on his back that needs treatment.

3: Hes old with no winter coat and possibly incontinent.

4: Hes had his face in food since he was found and is just eating eating eating so i am worried he has something adrenal going on.

I phoned the out of hours vets and they agreed to see him we talked money and they said they were unprepared to accept a payment plan in less than more than two cash settlements. I said i have NO money. They said to phone the RSPCA to get funding.
I phone RSPCA they said that they can't get funding for his treatment if i intend to keep him so i have to give him up to get him the treatment he needs.
Sadly i fear this will mean Euthanisation

I can't stop crying fo the poor fella hes in such a bad state and needs a vet but mine won't touch him.

Thats so sad :( Have you tried all the ferret rescues in your area to see if they will take him in?

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as i know we don't have any although i will go and look again now and the local animal shelter has said a firm NO.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think i just did the same search and i found three that will offer advise and one just close enough to help physically.

I've emailed all three because its too late now to phone.

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
I think i just did the same search and i found three that will offer advise and one just close enough to help physically.

I've emailed all three because its too late now to phone.

Im sure the poor ferret will be ok until tomorrow, if you have any vaseline stick a bit on the tiny ticks as this will suffocate them and they will drop off. It sounds like you are doing your very best in the circumstances and if you hadnt of taken him in he would still be straying.
Is there nobody on here who can give you some advice??

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See my main concern is that as he has a body covered in ticks and i have a baby and two dogs i'm not keen to keep him in the house untreated. However he is currently in a cage in the bath tub in hope that the ticks won't be able to climb the tub!!!!
To be fair i have spoken to the best possible person for advice (not medically trained) offline.
What do you think?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts