Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a real bad day last wk, so just wanted to share my story......

My Cow Retic hatchling had gone off her food & not eaten since 17th December '20, keeping in mind I feed my hatchlings every 5 days, so nearly 3 months without eating is a LONG time to go without food for a baby.

This wasn't looking good as I tried EVERYTHING to get her to feed again. I tried smaller prey, different prey, took her out of her viv & put her in a rub that was covered, even bagged her for the night with a small weaner rat in with her to see if she would eat, but no joy. My next option was to go down the live food route which is something I have never had to do before, been close a couple times, but always managed to snap them back into eating. So called a friend who breeds rats for reptile food to sort me out a live rat to collect at the weekend. If this didn't work then it was last resort, force feeding her.

Unfortunately the snake didn't make it & had died Wednesday night sometime & I found her first thing Thursday morning.

I've been keeping big constrictors for a long time now & got all my setups dialled in nicely. It's taken a few years & alot of failed attempts with trying new things & just generally learning from making mistakes. I'm always on top of my animals & they have always been healthy. Yeah I've had to deal with busted teeth & swollen mouths from pushing etc, but I've been shown how to sort these problems out by myself as the vets showed me a few years ago after a couple of visits. I felt I had failed in looking after my animal & was racking my brain as to where I had gone wrong as this has never happened to me.

I had been wanting a Cow Retic for so long & had finally got one when some hatchilings came out of a clutch from a well known breeder in the Retic industry. I had the snake 6 months & she was growing so well until all of a sudden she went of her food. I checked her for RI & she was all good. She was active right up till the day she died.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes, maybe there is no helping an animal, especially when you're dealing with these mad beautiful looking morphs & messing about with different genetics to produce these awesome animals. We don't know what's going on inside their bodies, are they properly developed inside? Who knows!

I've now accepted this as being part of our hobby, what we do, what we love. I guess you gotta take the rough with smooth at times. Luckily the smooth always outweighs the rough!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
sometimes animals are beyond help, we have no idea of what's going on internally that can be a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

iv found most unexplained deaths happen after a feeding, digestion is a systemic stressor, sometimes its the last nail.

anyway, my condolences

rgds
ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes animals are beyond help, we have no idea of what's going on internally that can be a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

iv found most unexplained deaths happen after a feeding, digestion is a systemic stressor, sometimes its the last nail.

anyway, my condolences

rgds
ed
I think you are right. I guess we don't always know what's going on with an animal inside. Could be undeveloped organs or some underlying problem like that?

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

The problem is that we don't really know the true health of the snakes we keep and accept the main signs like the shedding, feeding, drinking and moving as indicators that the snake is in good health, when it could have an underlying illness that gets triggered by something, much the same way as we humans suddenly develop a lump and find out its cancer. Only a nacroscapy will tell you the real story as to why the snake died.

My Boa is under treatment for an RI. No idea how it developed as his husbandry and any other variables that might have been the cause have been ruled out. One suggestion was that this year's breeding season resulted in an ebb in his immune system and that could have been the cause... it's all guess work. All we can do is try to help the animal as best we can, with or without veterinary assistance, and hope they pull through, but accept on some occasions that they are either beyond that help, and there is only one inevitable outcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for your loss.

The problem is that we don't really know the true health of the snakes we keep and accept the main signs like the shedding, feeding, drinking and moving as indicators that the snake is in good health, when it could have an underlying illness that gets triggered by something, much the same way as we humans suddenly develop a lump and find out its cancer. Only a nacroscapy will tell you the real story as to why the snake died.

My Boa is under treatment for an RI. No idea how it developed as his husbandry and any other variables that might have been the cause have been ruled out. One suggestion was that this year's breeding season resulted in an ebb in his immune system and that could have been the cause... it's all guess work. All we can do is try to help the animal as best we can, with or without veterinary assistance, and hope they pull through, but accept on some occasions that they are either beyond that help, and there is only one inevitable outcome.
You are quite right in what you say. I guess cos I have never lost an animal, when it happened I was beating myself up as to why as I know my setup & husbandry is spot on. After thinking about it for a few days & coming to terms with it, I finally accepted it was the animal & not me so hence my reason for posting a few days later to get it off my chest.
Hope your Boa makes a full recovery. Sounds like you got a grip on it & got its heath as top priority!

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
You are quite right in what you say. I guess cos I have never lost an animal, when it happened I was beating myself up as to why as I know my setup & husbandry is spot on. After thinking about it for a few days & coming to terms with it, I finally accepted it was the animal & not me so hence my reason for posting a few days later to get it off my chest.
Hope your Boa makes a full recovery. Sounds like you got a grip on it & got its heath as top priority!
Back in mid 1980's when I got my first snake, a garter I followed the advice I got from the pets shop and other than a 2' growlux fluorescent tube the snake had no heating, Now before anyone jumps in with comments just remember this was pre-internet days, and it wasn't as easy to research or who to contact for advice, other than the shop it was purchased from. I fed it a mix of earthworms and whitebait, which I later discovered needed to be heat treated, but by then the damage was done. I spent three times the cost of the snake on the injections to try and reverse the damage caused, and purchased all the thermostats, heaters, UV etc that I needed which back then was a weeks wages.... The snake died the following day... I was gutted and beat myself up for weeks as my ignorance was behind its death...but in reality it was just down to receiving the wrong advice in the first place and not being able to find an alternative source.

A few weeks later I had a job to install a phone line to a reptile shop on the outskirts of Leighton Buzzard. Over time I became friends with the manager and learnt a lot, and in 1990 picked up my first Royal. I joined a society, soaked up information like a sponge and later, when the internet became more readily available, furthered my knowledge by joining forums like this. He reached the age of 21 before I lost him to an abcess in his throat, and again I was gutted in that I was beating myself up as trying to think how or why the abscess occur...

Deaths occur, either as a direct result of the owners poor husbandry, or simply because the snake develops a health issue that is beyond medical treatment. - It's all part of the experience of reptile ownership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's a saying that goes something like...
'If you deal with live stock at some point your going to have to deal with dead stock"
It's just the way it is. Sometimes animals die no matter what you do and no matter how much effort you put into keeping it alive.
Malc I hope your boa makes a good recovery soon. Also back in the 80's with a lot of species the husbandry info just didn't exist. People hadnt worked it out yet.
and something else I've learned over the years... Just coz someone owns or works in a pet shop doesn't mean they know what they'r talking about. Iv seen plenty of pet shops selling stuff they don't really have a clue how to keep long term. They never admit it though.they always try to make it look like they know even when they don't have a Scooby doo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts