Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently thinking about my next snake and I've really been intrigued by the tanimbar scrub python. While info about these is fairly limited in general, I've found pretty differing information regarding their size. Some sites and forums mention 6-8ft as an average and that they've seen individuals over 9ft. Others are saying 4-6ft and that specimens above 6ft are fairly rare.

I've wondered if anyone here has some knowledge or experience with these, that they could share?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They max out around 2m, which is about 7foot. So yes 6 to 8 is about right
Oh sh*t sorry completely forget about this threat.

On one hand that's great since 2m, or a bit longer, is pretty much my sweetspot. On the other hand it's just going to make the decion between this and some of my other considerations a bit harder...

Thanks a lot really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the other species you are considering?
Right now it's primarily a vietnamese blue beauty snake. 3m is about the top of what I am comfortable with, lenght wise. But the ones I've handled really didn't feel that massive due to their thin body. They look gorgeous and the fact that they seem to be semi-arboreal is nice, since I do like to make more elaborate display set-ups. Plus theiry're diurnal which would be a nice change of pace. I've also always enjoyed reptiles that can have a bit of a temperament/personality.

The main other one besides a vbb would be a blackheaded pyhton. This one has been in the back of mine for a very long time. Looks gorgeous, said to have quite the feeding respone and pretty perfect size wise. My main worry is that at least in nature that are somewhat fossorial and I already have a lot of reptiles that I barely see.

Snakes that I also considered but are not as high on the list would on one hand be (australian) olive pythons. I adore the silky smooth look the have due to their smaller scales. But the main reason I'm a bit weary is potential legal issues. I can't keep boas or pythons over 3m where I live. And the sizes I've seen mentioned have been all over the place.

I also considered white lipped pythons. Their iridescent is beautiful, semi arboreal, they're pretty much my perfect size. Plus as I've mentioned I do like to work with snakes that aren't afraid to show their personality. But I generally prefer the darker southern white lipped pythons and they're just a bit too expensive right now.

(Sry for the novel)

·
Registered
988 Posts
From your list we keep (Chinese) beauties, Black Head pythons and olives. I have kept white lip pythons. I have not kept blue beauties, my partner has the chinese beauties, and I have kept ridleyi and friesi. They are ok.

Out of the list you have given I would suggest the blackhead pythons, you won't be disappointed with them. All of mine sit out pretty much all the time. They are one of my favourites.

I would also recommend Olives but yes they can get big. My largest one must be around 3m, though I am unsure exactly.

White lip pythons are very shy and very defensive from my experience. The price on them has also gone stupid, regardless of the colour. I paid £120 for my albertisii about 4 years ago and now they are selling for 10x that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
White lip pythons are very shy and very defensive, from my experience. The price on them has also gone stupid, regardless of the colour. I paid £120 for mine about 4 years ago and now they are selling for 10x that!
Ohh ok so it's not just me. I looked at them 2-3ish years ago but decided I really wasn't ready back then. Looked them up a couple months ago and got a not-so-nice surprise. Do you think it's just becasue demand has suddenly spiked and eclipsed supply? Back then I thought that if anything, they'd become more common and lower in price as more peopel would start to work with them.

I think I just needed a bit of a reminder about blackheads. They were and pretty much are still one my favorite snakes. But I think because they were in the back of my mind for so long, they just got a bit overshadowed by the initial excitement from other species.

Since you keep blackheads, I hope it's ok if I ask you something. Because their diet is probably the one thing I'd be a bit unsure about. I know their mostly reptile eater in nature. And most of what I've read suggests to keep an eye on diet, when feeding rodents in captivity, and to try to feed lean meat/be careful not to overfeed. Since they're more prone to things like fatty liver disease. Just wanted to ask what your experiences/methods are regarding feeding.

Really appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Regarding White Lips. It's because Indo shipments became more difficult, and then Covid has made that worse. Then I think instagram or TikTok or something made it worst as images of them appeared online a lot.

I feed my blackheads rodents, it isn't too bad for them. You just have to regulate it. I feed them more like a colubrid than a big python. So for many of the other big pythons I have I'll feed one huge prey item but very infrequently. So they are only fed every 3 to 6 weeks.

The blackheads I feed usually weekly (with the occasional missed week) but something smaller, I find this keeps them at an appropriate weight. Thats's during the warmer months, in the winter I don't really feed them anything unless I see them roaming around, but often even if they appear active I will offer something and they won't take it. That's between December and February.
So a python the size of an adult female Blackhead could eat a 750/1000g rabbit, but I offer them 250 to 500g rats. Sometimes I will give them 2. I basically judge it by how the animal is behaving and how they look. If the female has just laid I will feed them a bit more.

I hope that sort of makes sense.

I have found blackhead pythons much harder to make fat than Womas. I think wild diet of Womas must contain a lot less mammals than that of the blackheads as it seems to go straight to them. It is easy to slim both species down though, they lose it quite quick if you diet them as they are quite active snakes. I had some obese blood pythons (they arrived like that, not my fault!) a while back and it took ages to slim them down to a normal size, hard to lose weight if you don't move!! Fat lumps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Regarding White Lips. It's because Indo shipments became more difficult, and then Covid has made that worse. Then I think instagram or TikTok or something made it worst as images of them appeared online a lot.

I feed my blackheads rodents, it isn't too bad for them. You just have to regulate it. I feed them more like a colubrid than a big python. So for many of the other big pythons I have I'll feed one huge prey item but very infrequently. So they are only fed every 3 to 6 weeks.

The blackheads I feed usually weekly (with the occasional missed week) but something smaller, I find this keeps them at an appropriate weight. Thats's during the warmer months, in the winter I don't really feed them anything unless I see them roaming around, but often even if they appear active I will offer something and they won't take it. That's between December and February.
So a python the size of an adult female Blackhead could eat a 750/1000g rabbit, but I offer them 250 to 500g rats. Sometimes I will give them 2. I basically judge it by how the animal is behaving and how they look. If the female has just laid I will feed them a bit more.

I hope that sort of makes sense.

I have found blackhead pythons much harder to make fat than Womas. I think wild diet of Womas must contain a lot less mammals than that of the blackheads as it seems to go straight to them. It is easy to slim both species down though, they lose it quite quick if you diet them as they are quite active snakes. I had some obese blood pythons (they arrived like that, not my fault!) a while back and it took ages to slim them down to a normal size, hard to lose weight if you don't move!! Fat lumps.
That makes perfect sense and tracks with what I've read so far (feeding smaller meals more frequently). If I rember correctly breeding season is around Oct-Nov, right?

Eddit: What do you think about providing some variations in diet. Like chicks or quail?

Regarding White lips> Yeah forgot that a good amount of the ones available are still imports. Have only seen a few people working with them, so I do hope that captive breeding efforts increase. Since they're such interesting and beautiful animals. And it may help with their temperament once we have a few generations of captive bred specimens.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I pair blackheads and womas November to February

I offer the womas chicks sometimes, the blackheads I honestly haven't tried. I imagine quail would be a good food for them

I have met a few CB white lips, they were all just as horrible 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts