Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a male paraguayan rainbow boa, and in a year or around june i might get a female tank mate. I no you can keep the same type snake together (from birth of snake) and was woundering if i could put a brazilian or culumbian rainbow boa in with mine?
and could i breed them?

Thanks

Snakeman
Boa Lover

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Best to keep them separate, even with same species. With any snake, particularly young ones, there's a risk of cannibalism.
I think I'm right in saying that the humidity requirements would be slightly different between the species, and also the Paraguayans are maybe a bit smaller (not entirely sure about that), with Colombians and Brazilians sometimes going 7ft+.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no clumbians are the smallest of the rainbo boasand yes the brazilian are bigest reacing 7ft.Paraguayans are big than the colubians.
but thanks for anwsering.

snakeman
boa lover

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'm not getting into the whole 'don't keep 2 snakes together' debate, as there are loads of threads around covering that, but as for cross breeding rainbows - I've seen CRB X BRB's advertised, so assume you could cross a Paraguayan, but why do it when they seem to be the least common, and pure Paraguayan offspring would be worth more? I'd try and get another Paraguayan.

My book says they rarely exceed 4ft though, but I've never kept one...

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deano said:
My book says they rarely exceed 4ft though, but I've never kept one...
No they get to about 5-6 feet and VERY VERY rarely reach 7ft. Thats what my care sheets say and the shops. but evry book and people say diffrent things.

Lol
Snakeman
Boa Lover

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
snakelover said:
evry book and people say diffrent things.
Very true! When I was researching my BRB, one sheet said don't breed until the female exceeds 5 and a half feet, whilst another said their average adult size was 5 feet!

If both were correct, you'd be waiting a long time!!!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deano said:
snakelover said:
evry book and people say diffrent things.
Very true! When I was researching my BRB, one sheet said don't breed until the female exceeds 5 and a half feet, whilst another said their average adult size was 5 feet!

If both were correct, you'd be waiting a long time!!!
lol

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
snakelover said:
no clumbians are the smallest of the rainbo boas
Colombians can get as big as Brazilians - I've met a 6.5ft Colombian and seen pics of 7ft+ ones. Maybe you're thinking of Argentinians - they're are a smaller species - 4ft or so I believe.

As Deano said, Colombian/Brazilian average adult size is likely to be more like 5-6ft, but if you count on that you're bound to end up with a 7ft+ :D

If you need in depth info, maybe give this bloke an email, looks like he knows his rainbows!

http://www.rainbowboa.co.uk/

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
please don't cross breed them!!!!!

far far more desirable to keep them pure!

N

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
That's what I was trying to get at! I'd be pissed if I bought a CRB X BRB, thinking it was a a BRB, and feel it devalues the offspring, particularily for other looking to breed.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ive seen a paraguayuan x brazilian..most bloody ugliest snake ive ever met lol and ive met royal pythons :wink: :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts