Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i got a juvenile royal python last week and put him into my converted 3ft by 1ft fish tank and i was wondering if he was overwhelmed by the sheer size of it... he seems happy enough just hanging off the vine all night and sleeping all day behind his hide at the cold end in the corner (wont sleep in either of his hides for some reason). Hasnt eaten yet but i presume this is because he needs to settle into his new home, i will wait untill next week before i try again. Temps are fine i have a heatmat and infrared light fixing to keep temps nice. All i really want to know really is, is that tank ok for him or should i get something abit smaller untill he grows?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Might get a little over whelmed ,give him a nice hide at each end so his got some where he feels secure & you should be alright..............

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
might help to cover the sides with board or something to make it a bit more closed in; all that glass will make it seem like an open space
looks great though

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got the cave type hide at the hot end and the rock with hole at the cold. He did sleep in the cave to start with but it seemed to big for him so i stuffed some news paper in there to make it feel more secure and he hasnt been back since

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
might help to cover the sides with board or something to make it a bit more closed in; all that glass will make it seem like an open space
looks great though
Good idea i might try that, thanks. haha cheers ive never owned a reptile before and really enjoyed buying/settings up those bits :p Fish are too boring so they had to go!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Ive got the cave type hide at the hot end and the rock with hole at the cold. He did sleep in the cave to start with but it seemed to big for him so i stuffed some news paper in there to make it feel more secure and he hasnt been back since
Take out the newspaper & put some moss in just make it a little bit damp,must admit i don't use the caves always used large bits of bark,people on here use all sorts tomato catons,boxs,flower pots ,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take out the newspaper & put some moss in just make it a little bit damp,must admit i don't use the caves always used large bits of bark,people on here use all sorts tomato catons,boxs,flower pots ,
Is this the sort of moss you use for hanging baskets (can buy from garden centres) or is it special stuff for snakes?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Is this the sort of moss you use for hanging baskets (can buy from garden centres) or is it special stuff for snakes?
Thats the gear B&Q do it well cheap........

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
is he some kind of morph?
seems to have alot of yellow on him
really nice looking royal mate: victory:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is he some kind of morph?
seems to have alot of yellow on him
really nice looking royal mate: victory:
If he is a morth i got a good deal, only cost £60 ($110) so i can pretty much say he isnt :) either that or the petshop should have gone to specsavers.

Cheers, he/she is a looker, im already thinking about getting a nice morth and ive only had this one a week, this reptile stuff is addictive :D... right off out speak later

·
Registered
51 Posts
He wouldn't be confined to a small area in the wild! Reckon the boxing in will definately help though, good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Might get a little over whelmed ,give him a nice hide at each end so his got some where he feels secure & you should be alright..............
Yea, as long as there is plenty of hides he will feel secure

Luke: victory:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not going to bother with the wood, going to get some black carboard and stick that on the side, cheaper and easier. Might get another hide too.

Think hes sort of getting into a routine because everytime i come home hes doing the same thing... curled up sleeping in the same spot in the day and hanging off the same branch next to the heatlamp at night.

Also another question, if he refuses to eat after i try again next week what should i do? try once a week untill he takes it? kind of a waste of mouse and money if he keeps refusing or should i try a live one?

·
Registered
10,032 Posts
The reason he may be refusing to feed could be the large viv! That size is suitable for an adult, but very often young royals need a small enclosure to feel secure.
Although in the wild they would be in a large area, in reality they will confine themselves to small rodent burrows and other tight fitting spaces.
I tried housing my royals in a similar sized viv, and had far more cover, yet they soon refused to feed. Put them into small tubs, fed great.
I would hope that it was feeding before you bought it, and feeding well, so if it has now stopped it is liekly either due to the move, or being in too big a tank. However, after a week it should have fed.
Leave it well alone, don't disturb, and offer food again, but if it doesn't feed then I would suggest using a small tub to house him in for a while, you should find that he will feed then.
The other point to consider is how he was being fed prior to you buying him. Was the food dropped in and left, or was he encouraged to strike? Also, how was he housed prior to you buying him? Some royals will take food left for them, others need to be stimulated by making the mouse appear alive and striking at it. If he was housed in a small tub, rather than a large viv, this again could be a reason why he is not feeding.
Don't forget, as well, that royals do need a slightly higher humidity level, a light spray may also encourage him to feed (worked for me when mine stopped).

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
One thing I'd like to add, being from a petshop, the young Ball in question is more than likely Captive Farmed.

Bought in for pittance, and sold on for a huge profit without having a chance to settle in anywhere.

Were you supplied a feeding record or any proof of previous feeding?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I aint a royal expert but i know people with them and i wouldn't worry if he aint using the hides my corns stopped using his and now squeezes in between the hide and the viv wall to sleep

with the feeding problem try the defrosting in warm water trick helped me stop tease feeding my corn 1 pink and get him to eat 2 fuzzys @ a time :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
He wouldn't be confined to a small area in the wild! Reckon the boxing in will definately help though, good luck.
Yes it would!

At this age it wouldn't ghave left the hole it was hatched in, royals pythons sped a significant amount of their time hidden away in tunnels and burrows, barely ever seeing daylight.

Confined to a small spece is EXACTLY what a royal python would do to itself in the wild.

that royal will settle and eat muhc quicker in a small "really useful box" style tub rather than such a large viv.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
dont think anyone has mentioned this yet...but turn that UV light off!

Your royal doesn't need that light on, it will only stress him out. I reckon it plays a large part in the snake not feeding. Not sure if many people realise; but most strip lights (unless specifically made not to do so) constantly flicker. If you look at one out the very corner of your eye you can also see this happening.

Your snake will also see this and it will stress it out. It doesn't require any more UV than the natural daylight from the window/s in the room. The use of an infra red heat bulb helps to greatly reduce stress levels as the light is invisible to snakes. By putting a strip light on too during the day you are contradicting the point of a red bulb.

Hope it all goes well

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That light isnt UV just a normal strip light from when it was a fish tank, but yeah it does flicker so i will turn that off.

Tbh all the pet shop said was they had it for a week and it hasnt fed, so feed it in a day or two and that it was captive bred. It isnt just a petshop they have a big reptile bit too and the fella seemed like he knew what he was talking about.... i hope :)

I got the cardboard today so will cover the sides, wait for a few days without disturbing him and then try a warmed mouse.

Silly me really i should have made sure he was feeding b4 i got him, i did do aload of research b4 i got him but that was mostly about tank setup and not about the stuff i should know when i buy him.... lives and learns, lives and learns

edit: ian i will try the trick with a slight mist spray, i was told that the water dish would produce enough moisture but you seem to know what your talking about :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts