Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey someone I know keeps calling their tarantula a goliath, tried to explain that loads of people call loads of tarantulas golaith and it means nothing, I think its a vagans but im not that good at it anymore haha, out of practice, any help would be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
I'm unsure what the species is but it's not a "Goliath".

The 3 Theraphosa sp (stirmi, blondi and apophysis) are commonly called goliath.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm unsure what the species is but it's not a "Goliath".

The 3 Theraphosa sp (stirmi, blondi and apophysis) are commonly called goliath.
Yeah thats what I said but she's "I'm sure its a golaith" sent a photo of my blondi and said thats a goliath, she wants to sell but I said I can't help till I know what it is.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Yeah thats what I said but she's "I'm sure its a golaith" sent a photo of my blondi and said thats a goliath, she wants to sell but I said I can't help till I know what it is.
You're probably right with Tlitocatl vagans although it would be good to get a positive ID.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably right with Tlitocatl vagans although it would be good to get a positive ID.
Yeah for sure, thanks for the input anyway.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Doesn't look like a vagans to me, and definitely not a Theraphosa, either. Lasiodora klugi, maybe? That's about the biggest spider you'll find outside of Theraphosa, anyway.

·
Registered
11,665 Posts
Doesn't look like a vagans to me, and definitely not a Theraphosa, either. Lasiodora klugi, maybe? That's about the biggest spider you'll find outside of Theraphosa, anyway.
That's a good call too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh you might be right, she said it was too big to not be a goliath, before she sent the photo I suspected she might have an lp but obviously not.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey someone I know keeps calling their tarantula a goliath, tried to explain that loads of people call loads of tarantulas golaith and it means nothing, I think its a vagans but im not that good at it anymore haha, out of practice, any help would be good.
Definitely not a Theraphosa nor Vagans.
That looks like an LP.
Klugi’s tend to be heavier bodied and thicker with red hairs on the abdomen.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Definitely not a Theraphosa nor Vagans.
That looks like an LP.
Klugi’s tend to be heavier bodied and thicker with red hairs on the abdomen.
Could easily be parahybana. It's never easy to tell from one photo.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There is a Pamphobeteus sp being sold as Goliath . That’s what it looks like to me , not an adult specimen looking at the pic

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,001 Posts
I've seen LP's labelled as Goliaths in a zoo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts