Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:notworthy:Hi. I am not sure if I should get a brachypelma emilia, a brachypelma albopilosum or a euathlus sp. red. I would like to be able to handle it, or at least it be able to tolerate it. I am fairly new to keeping them, but I have many other exotic pets so I am not a beginner in the care for exotic species. I am curious as to what you guys think I should get.
Thanks,
Harvey:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Brachys are great. I love emilia and albops. Only thing to note is that their hairs really suck, if you happen to get a flicker.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
:notworthy:Hi. I am not sure if I should get a brachypelma emilia, a brachypelma albopilosum or a euathlus sp. red. I would like to be able to handle it, or at least it be able to tolerate it. I am fairly new to keeping them, but I have many other exotic pets so I am not a beginner in the care for exotic species. I am curious as to what you guys think I should get.
Thanks,
Harvey:2thumb:
Why?

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
some people, including me, handle them to get over the fear of them. i don't do it as much now, but used to when i first kept them. but i still rehouse the handleable species by hand, by letting them walk onto my hand from one enclosure, then off it into another one.
Also, to add to what Wilks said, some people are also curious as to what it would feel like to have a big spider walk all over your hands, I know I was when I got my first spider, I don't make a habit of handling any of mine but I do have one which will freely walk onto my hand and tolerates it very well, she's the calmest and most docile of my spiders.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
i concur, don't get one just to be able to 'handle' it, get one because you like the look of it and the way the species acts, do you want an arboreal or terrestrial, seems terrestrial is prefered by you..
also for your first T i would highly not recommend a brachy, they will flick and you will hate it within days...

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
also for your first T i would highly not recommend a brachy, they will flick and you will hate it within days...
Not all Brachys are flickers though or not all will flick loads, I have a large juvie B smithi, the biggest of my Brachys and it's not a flicker at all really but it is super fast and skittish, it seems to favour making a run for it to flicking but I know they're all different.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Why not,?
It will be his spider & if he wants to handle then that his prerogative.

O P, E, sp red make a cracking little pet spider, & will always want to come out whenever its enclosure is opened, never seen one flick either.
I was asking the other person Martin.

Cheers though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.