Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys were telling me that when you first get your tegu when he burrows do not disturb him and take him out, my question is when he's used to me and it's been a month or really whenever he seems very tame with me, am I able to take him out when hes burrowing then? Because if say 2 months from now he likes to burrow all day but hes really good with me, would it be okay to take him out?

·
Registered
484 Posts
this question has already been answered to you in one of your other posts tegu burrow in the wild and yes while he is getting used to his new vivarium and you ....you should leave him alone for a while even when he has settled in after say one month you should still not dig him out otherwise any trust that is built up between him and you will be very little as he will still see you as a predator digging him out of his hiding place be patient and after a while especially when he has grown in size he will start to interact with you and understand that you are not a predator he may even ask to come of of his viv. our argentinian tegu who is 21/2 years old now, if he sees us will come to the perspex front of his viv and taps the perspex with his nose and waits to come out ,after he has been out for a while he goes back in to his viv on his own... other people will tell you their tegu does the same.... be patient .....if you had a puppy it would take time to adjust to your home, you different smells noises etc just like a tegu... you have got to be patient

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this question has already been answered to you in one of your other posts tegu burrow in the wild and yes while he is getting used to his new vivarium and you ....you should leave him alone for a while even when he has settled in after say one month you should still not dig him out otherwise any trust that is built up between him and you will be very little as he will still see you as a predator digging him out of his hiding place be patient and after a while especially when he has grown in size he will start to interact with you and understand that you are not a predator he may even ask to come of of his viv. our argentinian tegu who is 21/2 years old now, if he sees us will come to the perspex front of his viv and taps the perspex with his nose and waits to come out ,after he has been out for a while he goes back in to his viv on his own... other people will tell you their tegu does the same.... be patient .....if you had a puppy it would take time to adjust to your home, you different smells noises etc just like a tegu... you have got to be patient

I apologize, I can tell that I would be getting rather annoying posting multiple threads on this, it's just majority of the time when I repost back into my thread nobody replies back but when I make a new thread I usually get a reply. The only problem I see is that he won't grow big like an argentine.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
tegu burrowing

when he is in his burrow try offering him some food from the top of the hole as he might come out to see what the smell is and also as he grows and knows you are the person who feeds him, when he is in his burrow as you aproach the set-up he will come running out to see you as he thinks you will have food. lol lol

this is how i made my progress with my bosc,

hope this helps..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when he is in his burrow try offering him some food from the top of the hole as he might come out to see what the smell is and also as he grows and knows you are the person who feeds him, when he is in his burrow as you aproach the set-up he will come running out to see you as he thinks you will have food. lol lol

this is how i made my progress with my bosc,

hope this helps..
That seems like a good idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts