Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my tegu for about a month and its been hard getting him to eat his greens all hes been eating is fuzzys and chicken breast he wont touch any insect at all ive tryed him on crickets mealworms and locusts
ive just had some succses getting him to eat well lick an egg yolk up he loved it
will it give him the shits if put it on his greens untill he started eating them on there own

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
my tegu loves eggs! :D he doesn't get the shits from them ethier , he eats greens, eggs, rats, live food and even snails, but he won't ea chicken or anything like that! :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They can be so fussy when they get older...my older one likes egg but wont eat it if its on anything (I tried to trick him into eating veggies with egg on but he wouldnt touch it). Hes very fussy about fruit and veg, and will only eat it after a couple of days without prey items. He also wont eat dark coloured mice/rats for some reason :shock: He wont eat insects (probably because they are too small to pick up easily), but will eat snails happily.

My baby tegu on the other hand eats anything remotely palatable immediately. I guess babies instinctively look for anything to eat to promote growth, whereas adult tegus can take a little more time between meals? I heard on www.thetegu.com that, if the lizard has a regular supply of high protein foods like meat items that it will forgo insects as they arent worth the energy expenditure to catch. But then, I guess it will depend on the age of the tegu as well...do you know how old he is? If not, how big?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello johelien

im allso a member of that tegu forum ive seen some pics of your tegus and they are really nice
alot of people on there feed there tegus turkey mince but mine wont touch it is it ok to feed mine chicken breast? he will only go for that and fuzzys ,ive tryed him on scrambled and boiled eggs but he wont touch it ive read that raw egg is irrisistable to them which has proven to be right
what fruit do yours prefere?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi Martin,
You should post there as well, theyre all very helpful! :)

I personally dont really agree too much with turkey/chicken; a lot of people there seem to feed it quite often, but its not really good for them as its just protein and not much else. I have fed raw turkey balls with fruit rolled up in it in the past and my big tegu did eat it but not with the same gusto as the rest of his foods, so I havent bothered since. Im thinking about trying supermarket fish, following someones post on that forum. You can feed the chicken so long as its not too often - the whole-prey foods are better, as they have more nutrients in them. You could try smearing chicken or mice on other foods to make him eat them.

My big teg rarely east any fruits any more unless hes really hungry, but he will eat some of the beardie veg, greens etc. Grapes used to be his favourite, but he seems less keen on them now. He will occasionally take a piece of mango or apple, but the pieces have to be quite bigf or him to pick them up! My smaller tegu will eat almost any fruits, but prefers apple, mango, grapes and banana. He wont currently eat veg unless its by accident (I mix it all up in the bowl so he sometimes gets some veg in his mouth along with the fruit). Grapes do seem to be the most popular fruits though.

It must just be mine that wont eat egg when its on something :) Again the smaller one will eat it mixed up with veg, but the larger wont. He will eat them if theyre by themselves, but not with other foods.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
should watch how much egg u give it though, very high in protein! not always brilliant for them!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i only feed him chicken twice a week and fuzzys twice a week
ive tryed him on some fresh salmon and prawns but hes not bothered
ill keep trying him on fruit
thanks for the info :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Don the bosc really likes salmon :p havent given him any for ages though :p