Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to have the right temps during the day and at night for the collared lizard i know that the basking spot should be between 90 - 105f and the daytime temp should be 80f and the night time temp round 65 - 70f but wat is the best way to keep the daytime temp and the night time temps right and what is the best heaat source for this ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi there the basking temps should really be 110f at least and a ambient temp of 80/90.night-time temps should be well in the 70's,

it all depends on the setup on what to use equipment wise,

in my 4ft viv i have 100watt spot bulb and slate as a basking rock which holds the heat well and keeps the viv warm well into the night(really the spotbulb should be conected to a dimmer thermostat to regulate the temps),

at night you dont need a heat source unless your house gets to cold,personaly i dont use night time heat but then again i dont need too,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnxs for the reply and what im gona do is have my lights on a timer and at night im gona go for one of the night lights and i think that should kepp the temps about right

·
Registered
976 Posts
They can handle lower temps than you think at night,its more to do with the fact that if night time temps are low it will make them brumate early(hibernation),
the best investment is a digi trermometer that will monitor min and max temps that way you get to learn how hot/cold your house/viv gets at night.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My collard lizards were absolutely fine with a temp drop through the night, they didnt need any lamps on...in the day the temp in the hot end was about 105 deg...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats cool i think im just panicin a bit cause i have never kept them befor so i dont know wat to expect ya know i just want them to be comfi lol and make sure they have allllll that they need if ya have any tips bmth girl just pm me as you have expe with them and any pointers would be great by the way am getting a male and female.

PS can ya get a baby book name for lizards lmao:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I had two collards ..Floyd and Flo.....not so freindly as the beardies that I have now...they were very gentle lizards, sometimes a bit tempermental with their eating habits, they did love to bask though as soon as the lights went on in the morning within seconds they were out there stretched out...I prefer beardies as I wanted something a bit bigger, the collards were a bit too small to let them roam around...sad to see them go though...good luck with yours...keep an eye out for mites, mine came from the shop where I brought them...generous .....x

·
Registered
976 Posts
collareds viv just finished in time for them to spend a week in there before the female lays her second clutch of the season :2thumb:.

already got 10 eggs in incubator cant wait to see how many she lays this time.

gravid female bulging with eggs :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
karma do you have a pic of the male aswell and how do ya tell the diff between the sex of them is there markings or what ?/??/

·
Registered
976 Posts
Mine are eastern collared lizard so look very different from say westerns which seem to be more available.

which have you got/getting easterns/westerns ?

heres a pic of m/f together

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks alot.she is due to lay again on tuesday and looks bigger than last month so cant wait to see how many eggs she lays :2thumb:.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
PS: Just to explain a few things, sorry if this has already been said, I didnt read the entire thread.....

Collareds tend to do better and even eat better if they have no heat overnight. They have mega high metabolisms, so they burn calories when warm and will keep less body weight if they dont shut down at night.

They dont sleep properly either if warm, and are built to withstand drops in temps overnight. Remember the desert is a very cold place at night, and they need that in order to live longer, have healthier appetites and get much needed sleep after spending all day running around and bouncing off the walls x

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
karma do you have a pic of the male aswell and how do ya tell the diff between the sex of them is there markings or what ?/??/
Males are brighter and have broader heads. They have a bulge at the base of the tail, and have a row of bigger scales (again at the base of the tail) a few millimetres back from the vent.

Females look more "girly", not got such meaty heads, are not as muscular and dont have the tail bulge or row of larger scales. They tend to be khaki/greyish in colour and generally lack the brighter yellow pigments seen in some (not all) males.

In Western collareds, when males mature they have black pigments to their belly and throat, same rules apply with colour except westerns are brown as opposed to green, and they too have the row of larger scales in male specimens.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
mix sand and vermiculite, about 2 parts sand to 1 part vermiculite. Make sure its damp, and its in a dark lay box. You can use a BIG ice cream tub with a hole cut in the lid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts