Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I currently keep all my snakeys on individually stated heat mats and monitor hot/cold ends with thermometers. I have been advised that a temperature gun would give me more accurate readings and allow me to monitor temps. more easily. What are peoples thoughts on these? Do you recommend a brand? And do you think I'll be able to pick one up at Portsmouth next week or at Kidderminster?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use one, its a TN2 that I got off ebay for under a tenner.

They are good and pretty accurate, as with anything some are better/more expensive that others.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I use an Am-Tech IR Gun. Does the job, fairly cheap off of ebay. Bear in mind that they read surface temps, not air temps.
I'm not too sure if they'll have any at Portsmouth. I'll see you there: victory:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use an Am-Tech IR Gun. Does the job, fairly cheap off of ebay. Bear in mind that they read surface temps, not air temps.
I'm not too sure if they'll have any at Portsmouth. I'll see you there: victory:
would be great to put some faces to screen names!!! surface temps would probably be beter for my species I'm thinking (sand boas and antaresia mostly)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
would be great to put some faces to screen names!!! surface temps would probably be beter for my species I'm thinking (sand boas and antaresia mostly)
Just keep a look out for the weird looking bloke with a strange beard and long hair, doesn't narrow it down really does it!
IR guns will work perfectly for those types of snakes.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just keep a look out for the weird looking bloke with a strange beard and long hair, doesn't narrow it down really does it!
IR guns will work perfectly for those types of snakes.
sounds like a lot of the guys at Donny.... thanks for the advice on the gun - I'm sold, new toy here I come...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Temp guns are very useful if used correctly.

Some guns, like the TN2 have a 1:1 spot to distance ratio, this means at a distance of 1cm it will be measuring the average temperature of a 1cm diameter circle. At 1m it will be a 1m circle, so can give a massive error!! The gun needs to be almost touching the surface you want to measure. (no good for checking HOTS!!).

Remember they do not measure the temperature at the point of the laser spot!! (It is an area around that point).

Some of the larger units have better ratios like 12:1, giving sensible readings at a reasonable distance, ie at a metre you will be measuring an 8.33cm spot!! Useful for getting a good idea of temperatures all around a viv.

I know I keep banging on about this but it is very important, could stop you cooking a snake when your gun tells you it is 20C lowere than your regular thermometer!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I got one from Kidderminster last year! So you should be able to pick one up there hopefully. It was less than a tenner!

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
There were some at the PRAS show last year so hopefully there will be some this year :2thumb:. I just got one off ebay it's an 8:1 ratio so what does this mean?

·
I am here to annoy you :)
6,588 Posts
Good topic ive been considering getting one of these myself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sold, new toy here I come...
I got one of the expensive dual laser 12:1 from Maplins. At a distance of 6" (when the two beams become one) it measures an area of 0.5". It's been amazingly accurate when measured against things of known temperature.

You're right about it being a new toy. I've found hundreds of things of interest to Zap around my house. Making a cup of tea: I wonder what temperature it's good to drink at? ZAP. Running a bath: what's a nice temperature to avoid the burning feet dance? ZAP! Oooh look, central heating pipes in the floor ZAPZAPZAP. Or is that just me? :blush:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just got one off ebay it's an 8:1 ratio so what does this mean?
I believe it means at a distance of 8cm you would be measuring a spot of 1cm. Or at 8" you'd be measuring a 1" spot.

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
I got one of the expensive dual laser 12:1 from Maplins. At a distance of 6" (when the two beams become one) it measures an area of 0.5". It's been amazingly accurate when measured against things of known temperature.

You're right about it being a new toy. I've found hundreds of things of interest to Zap around my house. Making a cup of tea: I wonder what temperature it's good to drink at? ZAP. Running a bath: what's a nice temperature to avoid the burning feet dance? ZAP! Oooh look, central heating pipes in the floor ZAPZAPZAP. Or is that just me? :blush:
Nope it isn't just you, i pointed it down my pants in my cleavage etc to see the difference in my different body part heat lol

·
Registered
234 Posts

:lol2: sounds like something i would do

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

::blush:busted! :blush: have you ever seen the eddie izzard routine with the wigglywee gun, that'll be me.....:blush:

thanks for all the advice guys - I've found it all very useful. I think I will use in conjunction with my digital thermometers till I've got the hang of it...
thanks again!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts