Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

Was just wondering what is the longest Royals can go not being at the correct temps? For about 14 hours they have been at about 26c, the reason being is described below.

I've just bought a pax wardrobe frame and shelves to make a new rack. It is the 201cm x 100cm, and i have 4 heat strips (42w) on 2 stats (100w) but for some reason since I moved them from the last setup in another wardrobe frame they bo longer seem to get up to the same temperature that they used to. The stats are set to their highest but the strips don't seem as hot as they used to be to touch.
I have also tried moving the sensor away from the strip so that it detects a lower temp and heats the strips up a bit more but has only made about 1 degrees difference.

Any ideas? I'm going back to Ikea today to but door for the frame as I think it'll keep the heat in better but I know loads of people who just use the frame without the doors and it heats up fine :bash:

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hiya,

They can be fine for a little while as long as they haven't been fed and are currently digesting food...
But I'd use bottles filled with warm water by the side of the tubs to keep them warm if it has been longer than 24hrs but thats just me

Perhaps higher wattage heat strips are needed? or heat cable? I know a few people use heat cable over heat strips

regards, emmie x

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They haven't fed in about 5 days so not digesting.

And I already have 4 x 42w heat strips and didn't think there were any higher wattage strips available. I'm off to Ikea in a couple of hours to get the doors so hopefully this'll sort it out and keep the heat in...fingers crossed...but until then I'll try the water bottle idea...thanks :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use heat mats in my IKEA rack, i find it works really well,
Hope u get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use heat mats in my IKEA rack, i find it works really well,
Hope u get it sorted.
The rack is perfect, just the heatmats being a pain! do you have doors on yours?

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I use an Ikea Pax wardrobe frame for my adult rack & my mats reach upto 34*C with no trouble at all. Are your stats pulse stats or mat stats? Pulse stats are best as they keep a more constant temperature :2thumb:.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't have doors on mine, there's a pic in an album in my profile, I use a 17" x 11" 20w heat mat under the large tubs. I also use a pulse stat.
Cheers Ben

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use an Ikea Pax wardrobe frame for my adult rack & my mats reach upto 34*C with no trouble at all. Are your stats pulse stats or mat stats? Pulse stats are best as they keep a more constant temperature :2thumb:.
I don't have doors on mine, there's a pic in an album in my profile, I use a 17" x 11" 20w heat mat under the large tubs. I also use a pulse stat.
Cheers Ben
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've got a mat stat so may have to look at changing that but it may also be the ambient temps being a bit low so I have bought doors for the frame today so will see if that helps hold the heat in, if not I'll try new stat...thanks again :)

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
To be honest mate i dont think the doors will make much difference.
I had a brand new mat i put on and took a while to get up to temp.If you are running multiple mats on one stat i would get a pulse instead of the doors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts