Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people find best to use to measure temperatures in there vivs and rubs?
I've tried Digital probes, dials and infra red temp guns.
All of which give me different results :p a link to decent priced thermometers that you have used and feel work would be amazing.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Dials = useless. Not accurate and die very easily.
Digital thermometer with dual probes = Most common, Fairly accuracte within a degree (I use the lucky reptile one) Can be used for surface and/or ambient temperatures.
Infrared temp gun :- Highly accurate, Measures great ambience temps not sure on surface temps but guess if you stick the probe to the surface should give accurate reading.

Lucky Reptile Thermometer Deluxe LTH-31 - Surrey Pet Supplies

Thats the one i actually use and its always been reliable (Aside from occasionally the time resets itself)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Dials = useless. Not accurate and die very easily.
Digital thermometer with dual probes = Most common, Fairly accuracte within a degree (I use the lucky reptile one) Can be used for surface and/or ambient temperatures.
Infrared temp gun :- Highly accurate, Measures great ambience temps not sure on surface temps but guess if you stick the probe to the surface should give accurate reading.

Lucky Reptile Thermometer Deluxe LTH-31 - Surrey Pet Supplies

Thats the one i actually use and its always been reliable (Aside from occasionally the time resets itself)
A infra red temp gun measures surface temperature not ambient temperature.

It depends on how much you want to spend. A decent temp gun costing from £30-£50 will give you a VERY accurate reading. The cheap ones are ok, and do give a good surface temp reading but not incredibly accurate, Certainly more accurate that digital thermometers and dials. But digital thermometers are fine to give a fairly accurate temp reading too. But not as good as the temp guns. :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
temp guns all the way.

If you want an idea of air temps, point the temp gun at the water bowl, after the water has been in it 24 hours, The water temp will match the air temp, unless the bowl is under your basking light or sitting on top of a UTH.

In that case, point the temp gun at one of the hides, or some other object that is not directly heated.

Best of all, point the temp gun at the animal itself..... That's how scientists measure cold blooded creatures body temps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought more digital thermometers, I have some already that i've been swapping between tanks, and a mercury thats workign well, and a dial that is sat ontop of the viv being even more useless than it was in the viv :D
Thanks for your replies :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
A infra red temp gun measures surface temperature not ambient temperature.

It depends on how much you want to spend. A decent temp gun costing from £30-£50 will give you a VERY accurate reading. The cheap ones are ok, and do give a good surface temp reading but not incredibly accurate, Certainly more accurate that digital thermometers and dials. But digital thermometers are fine to give a fairly accurate temp reading too. But not as good as the temp guns. :2thumb:
I stand corrected and learnt something new. Thats twice today you have corrected me :2thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts