Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What temperatures to you guys keep your boscs at. Ive currently got mine set for:
Night temps;
32oC warm end and 25-26 cool end

Day (basking) temps;
50-55oC basking

Does this sound about right?

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait, ive done a bit of researching. using my digi thermometer it was reading about 35oC at the basking site with the original bulb. This is however the ambient temperature right? From what people say the basking temp is measured with a IR gun and should be about 120f?!

So if i just stick with the ambient temp of 35oC it should give a fine "basking temp" or "surface temp"

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
You need to check them properly as what an ambient is not always going to produce a decent basking spot.

An IR gun is the best method.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont understand why the surface temperature is what matters, surely the ambient temperature is what will warm up the monitor, not the surface temp since that would surely be like thermal blocking?!

Am i right in thinking its best to keep them in high humidity with soil as the main substrate?!

Theres just far too many people with far too many different ways on how to care for a monitor, starting to get real annoyed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
a soil/sand mix is best imo
gives them a good burrowing structure aswell

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
i dont understand why the surface temperature is what matters, surely the ambient temperature is what will warm up the monitor, not the surface temp since that would surely be like thermal blocking?!

Am i right in thinking its best to keep them in high humidity with soil as the main substrate?!

Theres just far too many people with far too many different ways on how to care for a monitor, starting to get real annoyed.

they use the heat being produced directly from the basking spot to warm up there optimum body temp is 36-37centigrade they use the high basking spot temps to thermoregulate proberly : victory:

what you want to be measuring is the basking spot directly under the bulb.

·
Banned
11,446 Posts

Every reptile that basks needs a basking spot on top of the ambients.

What you keep them on is up to you, they dont need high humidity. They originate from an area that ranges from 50-65%, hard backed soil.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what im doing is next week, buying a 6x3x3 viv for him. ill be getting a ceramic ahs heater for the night temps which im confident with. Also ill be getting 2x 100w basking bulbs on a dimmer stat for his basking area. along with this ill be ordering an IR temp gun and some soil/sand mix bedding. Will have a pop down to the local diy/garden centre for some slate or the like so he can bask on (around 120f surface temp but unknown ambient temp?!)

Does this all sound about right for a bosc, as my confidence is up and down since i got him with being told the right thing bit my bit and some wrong things along the way.

Plus just seen this bedding, is it ideal:

Lucky Reptile Jungle Bedding 20L JB-20 - Surrey Pet Supplies

Really need some helpful advice of the right things to do, all the changing about wont be helping him settle in, only had him for a week!

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
what im doing is next week, buying a 6x3x3 viv for him. ill be getting a ceramic ahs heater for the night temps which im confident with. Also ill be getting 2x 100w basking bulbs on a dimmer stat for his basking area. along with this ill be ordering an IR temp gun and some soil/sand mix bedding. Will have a pop down to the local diy/garden centre for some slate or the like so he can bask on (around 120f surface temp but unknown ambient temp?!)

Does this all sound about right for a bosc, as my confidence is up and down since i got him with being told the right thing bit my bit and some wrong things along the way.

Plus just seen this bedding, is it ideal:

Lucky Reptile Jungle Bedding 20L JB-20 - Surrey Pet Supplies

Really need some helpful advice of the right things to do, all the changing about wont be helping him settle in, only had him for a week!

ahs matey expensive and shite is my opinion of em get a 5' tubular heater cheaper even with a guard and a pulse stat on

isnt your bosc still quite small though?

ambient temps get a couple of digi-thermometes one just above the substrate at the hot end other same place cool end thatll give you your ambients :2thumb:

id get some halogen type bulbs for the basking spot either par20 50w or 75w : victory: and i wouldnt bother with the dimmer they only go up to 90f so useless for maintaining a basking spot the tube heater will control background and ambient temps :2thumb:

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok these tubular heaters, from the prices ive found the ahs heater is cheaper with a built in pulse prop thermostat. ive got 2 of the AHS heaters and never had a bit of trouble with them so ill stick with that.

As for heating the basking spot, just noticed the dimmer stats only go upto 100f. The problem ill have will be trial and error. ill be buying a light fixture etc with guards that will screw to the roof of the viv. Ill be looking at the mercury vapour bulbs to give UV aswell as heat, so how am i to know what wattage will give the right heat?! is it start with a 60w and try that, if not then get 85w or 100w?!

Just seems mad that you have to waste money guessing what power bulb will be best before you find the right one, especially when they are over £30 each.

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
You can get the same temps with a 60 as you can with a 250w bulb. Its all about placement and trial and error.

A low wattage bulb will be working harder over a higher wattage bulb to achieve the same temps.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From where my light fitting will be (on the roof), to the basking spot, it will be a distance of 2-2.5ft. Now i really dont think a 45/50w bulb is going to give a decent basking temperature at all. What would you recommend?!

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
From where my light fitting will be (on the roof), to the basking spot, it will be a distance of 2-2.5ft. Now i really dont think a 45/50w bulb is going to give a decent basking temperature at all. What would you recommend?!
It would be over a basking platform made from slate or a paving slab, a Retes tower...etc.

A halogen bulb and a reflector will aid in a focused beam of heat too.

Then again, why have a 40w bulb in a 6 foot viv?

At the minute I have a 6x3x2 heated by 2 100w R80 bulbs, thats ambient and basking spot. I've got a third tuned off and no night time temp at the moment.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
moveable basking spot matey stick it on a chain :2thumb:

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so judging from your setup ill go with 2x 75w halogens, if its not enough ill change to 100w. Where is the best place to get a basking area/platform from, and what to use to make it?

·
Banned
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
omg dont get me all confused. i just want to get it set up right the first time and be done with it! lol easiest way possible, not bothered if its not the cheapest, just want it done right. :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just browsing the forums and saw your conversation. I wouldn't bother with the commercial substrate stuff either. Just get a 20L bag of organic potting soil from a garden centre (B&Q do big bags for about £4) and a bag of play sand from Asda (£1 on offer a few weeks back) and mix it by hand. You'll probably save on the cost and you'll be getting much more for your money. Only potential 'drawback' is that you have to mix it by hand! I've used organic soil/play sand with a variety of animals (including Bosc) and it works well. The sand helps hold it together too, so they can dig and it's less likely to cave in when they start to excavate.

Good luck with the bosc, a lot of it is trial and error. As long as she doesn't cook or freeze, you'll be sorted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts