Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My yellow bellied terrapin has been making weird popping sounds and blowing bubbles out here mouth then trying to eat them. Is there something wrong with her.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My yellow bellied terrapin has been making weird popping sounds and blowing bubbles out here mouth then trying to eat them. Is there something wrong with her.
This could be a sign of RI, what is your setup like? Basking temperature, water temperature and do you have a lid on the tank?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There basking area is 32degrees C and the water is 20 degrees C. There in an indoor ponds which does not have a lid. They both went to the vet on the 29th of may because i was concerned my map had RI and the vet gave them both injections just to be safe as there living conditions where rather poor before i got them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
try upping the water temps by 5 degrees and keep an eye on him for swimming unevenly/lopsided,if you notice any of this or his symptoms getting worse,i'd recommend another trips to vets.

steve

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Actually this sounds like pretty normal behaviour, my Painteds often blow bubbles then try to eat them, I don't know why they do it but I've seen and heard of other turts doing it too, it's quite common and I've not heard of it being associated with RI or any other illnesses.

If your turt is behaving normally otherwise, eating OK, swimming normally and generally active, not basking excessively etc..., then I don't think it's anything to worry about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts