Reptile Forums banner

texas rat snakes

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  captaincaveman 
#1 ·
Hi guys im getting a hatchling leucistic texas rat snake for crimbo from my missus. Just been reading up on them and everyone been saying that they are the most aggressive non-venomous snake in the US and the leucistics are more so. Its not putting me off but wondered if any of you guys have ever kept them before?

The black rat i used to have was similar in aggression when in the viv but calmed to a kitten when out

been looking at pics like this

and a few like these have turned up :shock: :lol:

anyone got them? or had them?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had one for a while, he was quite a nice guy actually. They tend to be feisty and will often strike at you in the viv. They are better outside of the viv and do calm down providing you persevere with the handling!

It will really depend on what sort of age it is and whether it has been handled before, but even very aggressive examples CAN be tamed down if you're brave enough :wink:
They do tend to be "sharper" than black rats (in my experience anyway), but not desperately so, Im sure you'll enjoy it once you've got it!

#6 ·
I have a pair of them and they are tame as can be, have been ever since I got them and they were only about 6 months old when I picked them up... The one I had a few years back though was a feisty bugger at first but she eventually settled down (some a-hole stole her though at the reptile show a couple years ago, hope she bit him)...
Steve

Here's my two

#7 ·
:D :D I was gonna suggest Steve too... see above as I know he has a pair of stunners <3 . I quite fancy some of these myself as they are beautiful. Where are you having them from ? Good luck with your new babies and please, please loads of photo's .... leading me further into temptation :roll:

#9 ·
Lesley M said:
:D :D I was gonna suggest Steve too... see above as I know he has a pair of stunners <3 . I quite fancy some of these myself as they are beautiful. Where are you having them from ? Good luck with your new babies and please, please loads of photo's .... leading me further into temptation :roll:
the reptile centre in nrthamptons got some but ive been seeing alot for sale that are bug-eyed(some say upto 75% are) so all depends on that. if not my missus have given me free range of the snakes in there to choose, they have some white sided black rats too. I really really want a trans pecos but i cant find any anywhere :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.