Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Looking to branch out into some new snakes, and really fell in love with this snake! Does anyone on here keep them? I've read alot of info already, but it'd be good to get the point of view of someone who had first hand experience :)

Just general stuff, what type of enclosure works well etc, any info would be appreciated :) thanks!

Jim.

·
Registered
390 Posts

This is my setup for 2 CB13 Coxi, left side is aspen right side is orchid bark and sphagnum moss. I was advised it is vital to ensure the damp side is damp. large water dish and plnty of hiding places are advised as well. box is small 12" across and i intend to move to larger when older.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
I have a year old female. They like to be fairly cool, certainly no warmer than 28C.
They are quite secretive so dont appreciate lots of disturbance. Spray the substrate lightly to raise the humidity.
They also prefer small food items, and seem to feed better on several small items than one bigger meal.
They have a very obvious signal if they feel threatened, which is that they curl the tail up. This is followed either by striking or fleeing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have about 10-adults and babies plus some of their near relatives

The key is to keep them cool -max room temperature and provide a moss hide and at least one other hide.

Mine are on aspen

A lovely snake but need to be looked after carefully and away from high traffic areas as are quite nervous

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Echoing everyone else. Mine live unheated in the reptile room and are fed multiple small food items.
They dont in my experience need to be kept anywhere near as humid as many caresheets make out. I provide good sized water bowls and spray a corner of the enclosures once per week. Ish.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
as above, keep and have bred them, great species, the need for humidity is exaggerated a little, I just provide mine with a moss hide. They don't seem to like much human contact. I keep mine in rubs under a sheet in my bathroom (as too hot everywhere else at this time of year). If you are looking for a species to handle I would not recommend them, they appear to do better with as little disturbance as possible. They also appear particularly fond of multimammate mice for some strange reason. All of mine bite. If you can get hold of defrost feeding babies you will do great with them. My original pair I got in hamm and I have never been able to convert them from eating fresh killed multis, however the ones I have bred from them and raised myself ate/eat very well on defrost mice and multis.

If you are looking for a recommended breeder, look to rob challis above as I have seen his animals in the flesh at Kempton!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a young adult pair here, fantastic snakes. I keep mine just like Rob - Dry substrate with access to moist hide. They definitely can be kept too humid/wet and can break out in blisters if kept like so for too long. Finding the right balance is, I feel, the most challenging part of this species (and other Oreocryptophis) but otherwise I've found them incredibly tough, feed every time, and mine are actually pretty laid back, not shy or snappy at all

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks Rick and Keiron.

Coxis are great but have a look at their near relatives the Broad Banded Mountain rats, Viaillianti and Pulchra-may be more expensive than Coxis but stunning snakes with same care requirements.

I will be bringing all of these types to Doncaster as I want to shift them and focus on my Trans Pecos collection.

Kind ergards

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts