Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive had Molly for a couple of years. I got her from a petshop who had no idea how to keep her and passed this onto me! She started to get some pyramiding so I started looking on the net and well, ended up here. She is now looking better and the pyramiding slowed and now looks to have stopped. So...

Thanks from Molly

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
:). . .

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Mollly is lovely, what substrate are you using? what is yoru humidity reading? Please dont use those plastic hygrometers they are rubbish.

Red foots need a humidity of 75%-90% but only ground humidty. Have a look at the red foot care sheet on www.shelledwarriors.co.uk SW also has a new look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is on a mixture, cypress bark and something else. The bark end is over a heat mat and I spray this till its very wet, then a large peice of bark covers her. I dont have a hygrometer.

Have you ever had a tort that eats its own poo? I have to watch her like an eagle until the business is done, she will spin round and eat it. I changed her supplements and added some cherry toms, this helped but is she weird?

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
i've heard of torts doing this.my little un used to do it but i just have to look at her now n go 'ahh'n she knows damn well what i mean lol

suprisingly intelligent aren't they

where did you get the cypress bark from? heard its great for keeping humidity up and was looking to get some for a baby brb i'm taking on next month

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've been hand feeding her a little bit then I will sit and watch her. Eventually she gets the hump and has a wander and most of the time does her business. Then her dinner goes in, so I am trying to teach her to leave me a little present!

I'm near Dartford in Kent and I get my stuff from Living Reef.
I use the white bark with my BRB, brings out the colour. I take it out to feed to avoid it swallowing it and give it a wet hide as the white stuff isn't great at humidity.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Great its just in the picture the substrate looks very dry.
Yes all of mine eat poo, I never clean poo out as it is gone before i can get to it, either the worms eat in my substrate or the tortoises.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You have managed to answer a question i was going to ask,:2thumb: When ever i go to clear out my tortoise table of poo i dont ever seem to be able to find it, yet i know he is pooing ok cos he does sometimes ddo it in the bath So i think knowing that he probably could be eating it has just put my mind at rest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the bedding is made up of ZooMed Bark and T-Rex Cypress Bed, cypress concentrated at one end.

I am concerned about her being warm enough. I have a heatmat on a thermostat at 90 degrees under the cypress and the other end is a 160watt Powersun bulb. The bulb doesn't seem to generate that much heat at ground level, I can lower it no probs. On the thermo its around 75-82 degrees near the lamp. If I lower it, will this remove the heat gradients for her.
Also, I am a bit dubious about the UV abilities of this lamp, anyone used one consistently? Powersun 160watt

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
I dont use heat mats and they can burn tortoises, horrible things.
I use extra lamps instead. My reds are at 32-35c under basking areas and in cool spots around 25c

1 - 13 of 13 Posts