Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anybody tell me about the components of it's Venom? How does the Venom affect you?

Cheers!
James

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
...I don't like the way this is going...

I am interested......I have heard it's fairly mild....But I want to learn more about the native species of Herps.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Then google it. You would be best of staying clear of the DWA forum, you have riled far too many people and to be honest, you are still coming across like you have experience in the other thread. A lot of people are not going to take you seriously at all.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did a paper on british snakes for uni and had to research this myself! As far as I'm aware the venom consists of haemorrhagins and procoagulants. The procoagulants promote blood clotting until the body breaks down all the clots until the bodys supply of clotting factor effectively runs out and the blood becomes incoagulable as a result of this.
The haemorrhagins make the blood vessels permeable to blood and therefore cause internal bleeding.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a paper on british snakes for uni and had to research this myself! As far as I'm aware the venom consists of haemorrhagins and procoagulants. The procoagulants promote blood clotting until the body breaks down all the clots until the bodys supply of clotting factor effectively runs out and the blood becomes incoagulable as a result of this.
The haemorrhagins make the blood vessels permeable to blood and therefore cause internal bleeding.

Hope that helps

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
James, right firstly i take it you are not listening to the advice of many people on this forum. Why are you asking Questions on this and that which. in my opinion. are not really relevant to you current situation. As has been said before if you keep posting question after question on things that are far more advance than where you are in the hobby you will/are going to get peoples backs up, to the point that know one will bother to answer your questions, also take heed of what PDR said about what may or may not happen in the future.
I have been keeping snakes 30 years and i have only now started to study venoms and toxins, which as people will tell you is a hardcore subject when you start to get into it.
Also you are sitting right now infront of the biggest referance and reserch tool there has ever been. If you want to know something google it, read and digest and keep it to yourself, as you will not be recieved kindly on here if you start to regurgitate what you have read. all you are doing is putting across somebody elses point of view or reserch findings, and that is easy, the hard part is taking what you read and learn and putting it into practice, once you have done this and people see your efforts then you will be taken seriously.

This is the last time I am going to bother saying anything as if you carry on posting on dwa forum when you clearly are not taking any notice and IMO you are not taking any notice of whats i and many others have said so WHATS THE POINT.
Lee

·
Registered
386 Posts
hi

i think its high time every body layed of this kid so what if he is asking questions about other stuff to do with venomous i cant see why anybody would have a problem with someone trying to learn and as for comments saying he is just saying what he has read on the internet or in books thats fair enough thats where many learn about the animals they wish to keep and no matter what you read your understanding of a particular species comes with keeping them as many of you do and know a snakes behavoir better than any book and im not sideing with him i think his idea of keeping venomous with little or no experience he might as will just let a rattler etc tag him cos thats whats going to happen i have done minimal work with venomous but would rather stick to the big stuff but have seen first hand the strike speed of gaboons rattlers and cobras and for someone who dont know the first thing about handling you will get bitten and it will f:censor:ing hurt

·
Registered
304 Posts

Hope that helps

you got the reference to your paper? I wanna check it out. cheers;)

Jason

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
James, right firstly i take it you are not listening to the advice of many people on this forum. Why are you asking Questions on this and that which. in my opinion. are not really relevant to you current situation. As has been said before if you keep posting question after question on things that are far more advance than where you are in the hobby you will/are going to get peoples backs up, to the point that know one will bother to answer your questions, also take heed of what PDR said about what may or may not happen in the future.
I have been keeping snakes 30 years and i have only now started to study venoms and toxins, which as people will tell you is a hardcore subject when you start to get into it.
Also you are sitting right now infront of the biggest referance and reserch tool there has ever been. If you want to know something google it, read and digest and keep it to yourself, as you will not be recieved kindly on here if you start to regurgitate what you have read. all you are doing is putting across somebody elses point of view or reserch findings, and that is easy, the hard part is taking what you read and learn and putting it into practice, once you have done this and people see your efforts then you will be taken seriously.

This is the last time I am going to bother saying anything as if you carry on posting on dwa forum when you clearly are not taking any notice and IMO you are not taking any notice of whats i and many others have said so WHATS THE POINT.
Lee

Lee,

I have been taking notice....And I have heeded the warnings. Non-venomous is the key to gain experience and knowledge....and still a facinating animal.

Venomous requires reading, learning and ASKING QUESTIONS to learn about different animals.

This is a forum to ASK QUESTIONS and for the experienced keepers to provide knowledge. I would like to learn more and more by researching, and asking others whom are experfienced.

James

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think its high time every body layed of this kid so what if he is asking questions about other stuff to do with venomous i cant see why anybody would have a problem with someone trying to learn and as for comments saying he is just saying what he has read on the internet or in books thats fair enough thats where many learn about the animals they wish to keep and no matter what you read your understanding of a particular species comes with keeping them as many of you do and know a snakes behavoir better than any book and im not sideing with him i think his idea of keeping venomous with little or no experience he might as will just let a rattler etc tag him cos thats whats going to happen i have done minimal work with venomous but would rather stick to the big stuff but have seen first hand the strike speed of gaboons rattlers and cobras and for someone who dont know the first thing about handling you will get bitten and it will f:censor:ing hurt
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Tony Phelps down in S.Africa or Wolfgang Wuster from Bangor University would be invaluable here, i believe that according to WW, Vipera berus's venom is actually roughly twice as potent as Crotalus atrox's venom believe it or not (i maybe wrong though). But one thing is for sure, they have the potential to do alot more damage than what they're given 'credit' for. I get these in my garden at certain times of the year, once they've moved away from their hibernacula.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tony Phelps down in S.Africa or Wolfgang Wuster from Bangor University would be invaluable here, i believe that according to WW, Vipera berus's venom is actually roughly twice as potent as Crotalus atrox's venom believe it or not (i maybe wrong though). But one thing is for sure, they have the potential to do alot more damage than what they're given 'credit' for. I get these in my garden at certain times of the year, once they've moved away from their hibernacula.

Crotalus atrox has like 5 times the yeild, though right?

Which makes C. atrox more dangerous as it gives 5 times more the lethal dose then V. berus if I am right in stating

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Crotalus atrox has like 5 times the yeild, though right?

Which makes C. atrox more dangerous as it gives 5 times more the lethal dose then V. berus if I am right in stating
I would think you are there or there abouts concerning quantity, i know the rattler would obviously inject a far higher dose of venom, but that's the difference, drop for drop berus's venom is more potent. You've hit the nail on the head basically in the reasons why adders are not considered anywhere near as dangerous as western db's.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would think you are there or there abouts concerning quantity, i know the rattler would obviously inject a far higher dose of venom, but that's the difference, drop for drop berus's venom is more potent. You've hit the nail on the head basically in the reasons why adders are not considered anywhere near as dangerous as western db's.

Drop for drop, it is more potent....Or it isnt.

At the end of the day....How many snakes can deliver a fatal injection by one drop?

There are quite a few that can, and certainly more then enough that'll put you in hospital with a single drop.

I would much rather that I had NO such Venom in my body....It doesn;t matter whether it;s the Venom of a Hoggie, or the venom of an Inland Taipan. It still has it;s affects on you're blood chemistry, and the rest of you're body.

In my opinion....If you had a drop of WDB Venom, or a drop of V. berus venom in you....It may or may not do you serious harm....But it will still inflect damage in places where the eye can't see.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.