Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so finally got the art of culturing fruit flies thaks to mike at Frogs and Food :no1:
but i think ive got a little too excited and carried away with it as im now over run with them, now to me the most reasonable solution to me for this "problem" is to get more frogs to eat them but my misses thinks i should just stop making cultures or make smaller cultures!?!?! what sort of an answer is that:whistling2:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
It is best to have too many than too few. Fruit fly cultures sometimes crash leaving you with no food therefore most keepers tend to over culture just in case. Always good to have a supply of woodlice and springtails for that reason. I also breed lesser wax moth larvae for the odd treat and in case of a food shortage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fruit flies

Over the last few weeks i have been culturing mine with bananas, today i have done a apple sauce and banana + brewers yeast in all, good results so far lets hope they like apple

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Has anyone else had rises and crashes with bean weevils? I've been using them for young FBTs, and trying them with young reed frogs (who don't seem that keen, TBH), but the beetles available seem to vary a lot, over time.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Has anyone else had rises and crashes with bean weevils? I've been using them for young FBTs, and trying them with young reed frogs (who don't seem that keen, TBH), but the beetles available seem to vary a lot, over time.
yes always a sporadic cycle based on 3? weeks i er think Ron,i /we never could get them away from millions then few 'cause the adults were either eaten or dead and the kids hadn't hatched staggered set up of cultures never helped either

Stu

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
yes always a sporadic cycle based on 3? weeks i er think Ron,i /we never could get them away from millions then few 'cause the adults were either eaten or dead and the kids hadn't hatched staggered set up of cultures never helped either

Stu
Thanks mate, that really helps- two independent cultures seemed to crash at the same time- then produce oodles.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
First time i`ve come across someone who has bean weevils crash.
The only time i`ve had trouble with them is if the culture has gotten humid and the beans go mouldy.
That mostly depends on the type of container they`re in.

Mike

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
First time i`ve come across someone who has bean weevils crash.
The only time i`ve had trouble with them is if the culture has gotten humid and the beans go mouldy.
That mostly depends on the type of container they`re in.

Mike
Nope- totally dry, topped up occasionally with fresh beans, kept reasonably warm- in two different housholds. Both crashed and recovered at the same time. So I'm guessing it's just down to life cycle.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Nope- totally dry, topped up occasionally with fresh beans, kept reasonably warm- in two different housholds. Both crashed and recovered at the same time. So I'm guessing it's just down to life cycle.
Maybe crash is the wrong word guys,i just think the adult stage is fairly short lived,so breeding is all together then the adults die then because all the eggs are laid in a short time frame they hatch in a short time frame,consequently always peaks and troughs with them on adult availabiltiy

Stu

Reactions: Ron Magpie

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Maybe crash is the wrong word guys,i just think the adult stage is fairly short lived,so breeding is all together then the adults die then because all the eggs are laid in a short time frame they hatch in a short time frame,consequently always peaks and troughs with them on adult availabiltiy

Stu
That makes a great deal of sense. Means they are a bit unreliable as a steady food source, though.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That makes a great deal of sense. Means they are a bit unreliable as a steady food source, though.
But great as a back up.

Ron have you tried breeding fruit flies yet for those lovely reeds of yours because we all know how fond of fruit flies you are!:lol2:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
But great as a back up.

Ron have you tried breeding fruit flies yet for those lovely reeds of yours because we all know how fond of fruit flies you are!:lol2:
Wash your mouth out with lye soap, young man! :devil:

At the moment they're doing ok on the afor-mentioned weevils (which seem to be on an 'up' in their cycle, right now), pinhead crickets and the white tropical woodlice. There's a healthy population of the white springtails in there, too, but I don't know if they are taking them as well or not. They're mega-shy, at this stage.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Wash your mouth out with lye soap, young man! :devil:

At the moment they're doing ok on the afor-mentioned weevils (which seem to be on an 'up' in their cycle, right now), pinhead crickets and the white tropical woodlice. There's a healthy population of the white springtails in there, too, but I don't know if they are taking them as well or not. They're mega-shy, at this stage.
You will have to post some pics of your collection one of these days. I think you must have one of the most diverse collection of phibs on here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts