Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since spiders get plenty threads devoted to them, I thought we could have this one to look at some species of beetles, which are often really lovely, and you do not see enough of in the trade (maybe due to hard to breed, or they live longer as a larvae?).

I will start with three, two of which are my particular fav's, and the third is...interesting. Feel free to add your own etc..

Cicindela japonica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgPr-7nzoFo

Phalacrognathus muelleri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBMsfJdNv7s

Finally...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zbgd6xpGQ

;)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Amblycheila cylindriformis

Not seen this particular species of predatory beetle before, but these are expensive, from this US site..

Amblycheila cylindriformis Tiger Beetle - YouTube

Amblycheila cylindriformis is the Great Plains Tiger Beetle. These are predators of the highest order, like great white land sharks! The price reflects their rarity as live specimens, but with respect to their value as dried specimens. My parents caught these in South Dakota back in June, and I'm ready to part with hoarding them all to myself at this point. I'm such a bug hoarder! All three are available unsexed at $50 each...

buy live Amblycheila cylindriformis tiger beetle pet

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are my sons and tbh like having naughty little toddlers. You have to send them to opposite corners to stop them scrapping at meal times lol
Yes, they are always hungry, I find. How many do you keep together?

AFAIK, they do not breed easily in captivity, could be wrong.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Yes, they are always hungry, I find. How many do you keep together?

AFAIK, they do not breed easily in captivity, could be wrong.
These have been living together for years. Think Lisa who gave them to my son had had them well over a year or even 2 when we got them. There was 3 but one died so now we just have the pair living together :)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again my sons he is a bit mad on millipedes atm. He has one that is just vile and looks like some prehistoric fossil
They remind me of an old electric cable.:)

I have to admit, when it comes to inverts, I tend to factor in the looks.

Naturally I make sure I want it anyway, but if it is a choice between one species that is pretty ugly, and one with lovely colouring, then I would be drawn to the latter.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
That is one of the ugliest cruel jokes I have seen.

There is nothing nice about it.

On any level.

It is like those that keep roaches. As 'pets'. What is beautiful about a roach? What next - bed bugs in an Exo Terra...:whistling2:
My son absolutely love his roaches but this guy is just foul. Then again my son thinks its awesome. Its as bad as Marks huntsman

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi guys
This is my little collection so far :D
Sorry about the poor spelling
pachnoda sinuata
Educella schultzeorum pseudo woermanni
Mecynorrhina torquata immaculicollis
Mecynorrhina torquata ugandensis (colour morph)
dicronorrhina derbyana layardi

Also have some hissers.. Don't know why but I do like roaches

Oh and I have no pics cause most are still grubs

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son absolutely love his roaches but this guy is just foul. Then again my son thinks its awesome. Its as bad as Marks huntsman
I don't mind Huntsman spiders too much, they are very very fast, indeed, I don't think I have seen anything shift as fast as they can. Your eye cannot keep up with it.

I guess millipedes are okay for kids, or if you wanted a collection you could show to people and let them handle.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
I don't mind Huntsman spiders too much, they are very very fast, indeed, I don't think I have seen anything shift as fast as they can. Your eye cannot keep up with it.

I guess millipedes are okay for kids, or if you wanted a collection you could show to people and let them handle.
Its his bug box he gets £10 to buy something to add to it at every show. He looks after it etc.

Huntsmans are vile vile creatures

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.