Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya ,
Heres a few pics of my English lop bunnies. My pride and joy!

Baby Tawny

Posing for the camera

Mr Bumble

Hope you like them!
Tanya xx

·
Registered
130 Posts
:shock: i have never seen a rabbit with ears as big as that, how do they manage to walk around, is there anything special u need to do for them?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duck said:
:shock: i have never seen a rabbit with ears as big as that, how do they manage to walk around, is there anything special u need to do for them?
They do tend to stand on their ears quite a bit so you have to make sure their nails are kept trimmed on a regular basis. As you can see Mr Bumble has quite a chunk taken out of his, this is how he was when I got him, I still think hes a babe!
Tanya xx

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Crazy!!!

A serious question for you.

Why do they have such big ears?? I mean have they evolved to be like that or is it somethinhg humans have done to get big ears on rabbits.

I used to have rabbits as a kid. Funny little thing. Nice and quite though, just how I like my pets.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
OMFG!!!!
ok firstly its absolutely scummy and cute but second....iv also neva seen a bunny with ears that Huge....how come they r sooooo big?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Have you crossed a guinea pig with a bat or something c c c craaazy?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HeHe,
I have copied and pasted some info about the English lop, They are quite a big breed weighing around 5 kg when adult.
The English Lop is one of the oldest breeds of domestic rabbits known to man.
The reason an English Lop has enormous ears is very simple. The English Lop originated from the Algiers, Africa, a place well known for it's equatorial heat. When a rabbit is hot, they do not sweat, they release heat through their ears by circulating their blood through them. As the blood runs through the ears, it is cooled off and is returned to the bloodstream. (Their ears also take in the cold in the winter months). Pumping these massive amounts of blood caused the English Lop to have very heavy ears which eventually fell down one day and continued growing until the animal was suited to its enviroment and could compensate for all of the heat it was taking in. Parents with this new trait created a gene for lopping ears, and passed it on to their offspring. Thus the ears of the English Lop were formed.
English Lops are not popular just for their ears, they also have one of the best temperaments in the rabbit family. As kits, they like any other kit, full of energy and curious little guys. They bolt across their cages like lightning and sometimes trip on their ears and go flying a few feet. As adults, English Lops, despite their size, are as kind and gentle as ever.

They truly are the best breed of rabbit I have ever owned. They are quite rare these days. I have had to spend allot of money getting them couriered to me. But they are well worth it!!! :lol:

Tanya xx

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
We used to have a "Papillon" are they as big as that? (just trying to visualise the size).

Just had a thought, the cotton buds you need for those must be mahoosive :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Gorgeous! I had 3 English lops many years ago. They are lovely lops you have there! :D

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Wow. Never seen an english lop before :lol: Very nice

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
reticulatus said:
We used to have a "Papillon" are they as big as that? (just trying to visualise the size).

Just had a thought, the cotton buds you need for those must be mahoosive :lol: :lol:
5kg is about the size of a large cat, although mine arent that big yet.
Tanya xx

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
HeHe,
I have copied and pasted some info about the English lop, They are quite a big breed weighing around 5 kg when adult.
The English Lop is one of the oldest breeds of domestic rabbits known to man.
The reason an English Lop has enormous ears is very simple. The English Lop originated from the Algiers, Africa, a place well known for it's equatorial heat. When a rabbit is hot, they do not sweat, they release heat through their ears by circulating their blood through them. As the blood runs through the ears, it is cooled off and is returned to the bloodstream. (Their ears also take in the cold in the winter months). Pumping these massive amounts of blood caused the English Lop to have very heavy ears which eventually fell down one day and continued growing until the animal was suited to its enviroment and could compensate for all of the heat it was taking in. Parents with this new trait created a gene for lopping ears, and passed it on to their offspring. Thus the ears of the English Lop were formed.
English Lops are not popular just for their ears, they also have one of the best temperaments in the rabbit family. As kits, they like any other kit, full of energy and curious little guys. They bolt across their cages like lightning and sometimes trip on their ears and go flying a few feet. As adults, English Lops, despite their size, are as kind and gentle as ever.

They truly are the best breed of rabbit I have ever owned. They are quite rare these days. I have had to spend allot of money getting them couriered to me. But they are well worth it!!! :lol:

Tanya xx
Thats truly incredible...ur very lucky xx

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
wow thats the coolest bunny wabbit ive ever seen!! Makes me want to tie them up with a big red bow to stop them standing on it?! Dont they get ear infection problems like basset hounds etc?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts