Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen mention of a gas chamber for euthanasing rats and mice as the most humane way to so.

my question is how do you actually create or where do u buy one of these chambers from?

i am going to be over run my babies soon and need to know urgently

please!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
i have seen mention of a gas chamber for euthanasing rats and mice as the most humane way to so.

my question is how do you actually create or where do u buy one of these chambers from?

i am going to be over run my babies soon and need to know urgently

please!!!!

I believe they're essentially chambers where air is replaced by carbon dioxide or monoxide, it equals to asphyxiating them

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
my mum puts rodents in tupperwares with a hole drilled into the side and a tube carrying gas in from a gas machine to euthanize and anesthetize stuff at work. (shes a vet_
x

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
just pick up an old Sodastream, stick the mice in the bottle, give it a blast and off you go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys looks like a trip to the diy is in order then

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ive been using this method to euthanase mice and multi-mammates for my snakes for while now.
I simply put about 20 in to a 8 litre tupperware container, mix baking soda and white vinegar in a sealed freezer bag which produces CO2 gas running a hose from the bag through a opening in the top of the container. The gas euthanases about 20 mice in approx 3-4 minutes.
This is a big money saver as the cost of euthanasing up to about 120 mice works out to around £10.
By the way if anyone has a simpler way of doing this rather than making the gas with vinegar and baking powder let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cover the bottom of the bottle with layers of eggshell pieces, or you can use bits of marble or limestone pieces. Then just fill the bottle with three-fourths full of vinegar.

id reccommend connecting the hose straight away so that all co2 is used and a constand lvl

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
By the way if anyone has a simpler way of doing this rather than making the gas with vinegar and baking powder let me know.
Buy a CO2 canister from a welding supply shop.

Unfortunately the vinegar-and-baking-powder method does not give you any control over the concentration of gas, so you cannot ensure that you have the right dosage of gas to first anaesthetise then kill the rodents and MAY wind up just outright suffocating them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do not have experience with both (i have only ever used a gas bottle) so i could be wrong but...
For the animals but also for your on safety it would seem like a good idea to be able to regulate the amount of CO2 that is released. Worth the small investment of getting a CO2 bottle and regulator.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So far the vinegar/baking powder method has worked well for me, judging from the way the mice react it definately euthanases them rather than suffocates them as they display the expected symptoms of slightly more rapid breathing followed by going to sleep.
The canister idea sounds like a better idea, how do you know when you've added enough gas or do you simply add it untill the mice start to go to sleep?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So far the vinegar/baking powder method has worked well for me, judging from the way the mice react it definately euthanases them rather than suffocates them as they display the expected symptoms of slightly more rapid breathing followed by going to sleep.
The canister idea sounds like a better idea, how do you know when you've added enough gas or do you simply add it untill the mice start to go to sleep?
It is illegal for laboratories to use this method due to the lack of control over the quality of the gas produced and becuase the vinegar fumes mixed with the CO2 burns the eyes and nose membranes of the animal before it dies.
While this law does not apply to the home DIY slaughter of rodents, it is worth thinking about the potential of this method to cause suffering and the potential for a group like the RSPCA to claim you are practicing animal cruelty.
It's so much easier and cleaner to use a bottle of CO2, plus one bottle kill hundreds of mice, I just don't see why anyone would bother mixing chemicals.

Natrix

·
Registered
513 Posts
How do you know when to stop adding the gas from a bottle?
Do you simply judge from the reaction of the rodents or is their a set amount that you add using a regulator?
Any info would be much appreciated, the last thing i want to do is cause the animals suffering, that is why i use this method as i couldnt bring myself to break their necks like many people do in case i just injured the animal rather than killing it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
now in the future i am considering breeding mice now and then to save money

now i have an idea

if u did the same as the other person did but instead of using baking powder u used sugar yeast and warm watter although it would take 30 mins for the gas to slowly build up it would not cause pain as it is slow and it would put them to sleep first just a thought.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
To be honest, you're more likely at that point for the rodents in the tub to *asphyxiate themselves* due to the carbon dioxide they're exhaling - and that IS a stressful and too-slow method.

I have been giving Argon a try, based on its success with poultry (who do not hesitate to voluntarily enter a chamber filled with inert gas like argon or nitrogen to obtain food - but they DO hesitate to enter a chamber filled with carbon dioxide, which implies they don't like something about it). The idea is that although the presence of excessive carbon dioxide may well cause stress to the rodent, the presence of an inert gas just replaces the available oxygen.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
yes although slow it is painless as posible because it slowley builds up in co2 cousing them to sleep then it gets higher and higher to cause death.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
How do you know when to stop adding the gas from a bottle?
Do you simply judge from the reaction of the rodents or is their a set amount that you add using a regulator?
Any info would be much appreciated, the last thing i want to do is cause the animals suffering, that is why i use this method as i couldnt bring myself to break their necks like many people do in case i just injured the animal rather than killing it.
you turn gas on to
A slow flow co2 goes into tub of rodents and
Then out the outlet tube which is fed into a container of water. When you see rats not breathing anymore leave for a minute extra. Dead.

What is the legal way of putting them down that businesses use? I've not heard of argon use is that easily avalible? I'd like to put some down quickly and correctly. Are there units that business buy? Any links to web sites? Do you need a leicence etc.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts