Reptile Forums banner

The Gila Monster:-D

3K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Karl_1989 
#1 ·
i now evryone loves the gila monster and saw it was on the DWA list. I now they are HIGHLY venomous, and myth is, the breath out toxic gases that kill humans, is that true or just an old myth. See Gilas in the zoo and there great. Got a pic in Snake Pics "Day Out". any way myth or not?:? :)

#3 ·
From what i've read they are venomous (those and beaded dragons being the only venomous lizards) and the bite can kill you but its unlikely too. I don't think they're 'that' toxic from what i've read, and ive certainly never heard of the breath thing!!! They are awesome tho! i'd love a big ass one with big orange stripes!!

#4 ·
i dont think they breath toxins...
they are venomous though ofcourse.
and its the beaded lizard...dont think its refered to as a dragon.
Apparently the gila's bite is very very painfull, i assume its the venom that gets into your bloodstream that causes the pain.

#5 ·
sorry i'd always heard of them being called the Beaded Dragon. I remember cause a girl had just for a beardie and read a thread on them and thought she;d got a venomous animal!!!!! So funny.

Heres an interesting fact, did you know that male duck billed platipus are venomous?! They have a spur on their back foot than they ram into you and it injects venom. Not bad enough to kill but apparantly it is one of the most excruciating!!

#33 ·
did you know that male duck billed platipus are venomous?! They have a spur on their back foot than they ram into you and it injects venom. Not bad enough to kill but apparantly it is one of the most excruciating!!
yea ive heard about this, i think the spur is really more for when they mate its more of a last resort with humans.
dont think they could be classed as an aggressive animal lolz.:D cool fact tho:thumb:

#6 ·
no you are right it is the saliva that is the toxin they dont produce venom and the breating toxic gas is a myth but sound pretty cool and the gila monster like he sed is one of the only 2 poisones lizards the other being the beaded lizard im not to sure on how toxic they are but like the kamodo dragons there is no cure for the diesese that you get from a bite its the infextion you get that kill's you not the saliva itself

#7 ·
umn...so your saying if your bitten theres nothing you can do and u die? cos i can point you in the direction of some ppl who have been bitten who keep them..

#9 ·
ah yeh, i guess its the startof the infection that causes the severe pain.

theres a forum, i wont put the name here that has an admin who keeps them, also i think a few other ppl there do too, a few of the ppl on this forum are members there too, if anyone does want more info and DOESNT know of the other forum, and DOES want to know the forum where there are members who have experience withthem pm me and ill give the info as im pretty sure noone here on this forum keeps them.

#11 ·
ur not suposed to do that...

#12 ·
hahahahahaha sorry that was so funny. Theres dean being all coy about it and 'playing by the rules' and then BAM! Bosshog goes right in there and just says it!

Anyways i was pretty certain they its not just infection that kills you otherwise they would be called non-venomous, like the Komodo.

#13 ·
yeh...newbs... tut tut.

:)

and yes Sarah, i too would have thought that if they are refered to as "venomous" as they are..they would infact produce venom.. but its hard to say as names get thrown around a lot, and terms are often used wrongly.. im pretty sure they dont have fangs.. but i guess they have venom glands.. hmm is hard to know..well actually i reckon iots just a google search away but im not bothered right this second lol.

GOT MY UROMASTYX COMIN ON MONDAY
U. acanthinurus, SEE THE THREAD "URO" IN THE CLASSIFIDES FOR A PIC, FEW DAYS OLD NOW SO PAGE 2 PROLLY
WELL CHUFFED

#14 ·
good one mate, didnt use to like Uro's but love them now and even thought about getting an Egyptian Uro.:-D

#15 ·
cool... they are the larger of the species arent they?
bit on the grey side but very cool.
I HAD planned on getting a pair of ornates to be honest, but bob looks amazing so im very happy to take him as my first uro.. more will follow im sure.

#16 ·
yer think they are the bigger ones. I think there great thow

#17 ·
just to sort the matter out once and for all..the gila monster and beaded lizard are both poisonous...they secrete a toxin from a duct that empties into the lower jaw..they then have a groove in their tooth which pulls the venom up and into a cut when they bite...it doesn't get injected like snakes it sorta seeps into any wound..
the bite hurts like a bitch (not that i know but my friend does!!) and can kill if you are not treated and the lizard gets the oppurtunity to chew on you for a bit!:)

#18 ·
Thanks Belial, normally i would have googled it myself but im supposed to be revising!! (tut tut)

Dean: YAY!!! when im home for easter i have to see him! I want a uro so bad and that little guy has really nice colours! I think they all look like they should be called Norman or Norbert though... saying that my uncle Roy looks just like one come to think of it.... i think i found a name when i eventually get mine. (Maybe if you are succesful in breeding a while down the line i can buy one of bobs babies!). What subspecies is he out of interest? Ornate?

#19 ·
has anyone seen those gila monsters with a light pinkish/purpleish colour instead of orange?

#20 ·
cant find the site a saw them on now but they look a bit like this one, colour wise.
pinky, think thats just coz the sun, but i'm still looking for the site.

#22 ·
haha nice work, gotta appreciate a bit of well placed pedantry

#24 ·
Belial et al are correct.

Gila's *are* venemous. Venom not bacteria in the saliva.

Their Venom mechanism is in the lower Jaw.

Bites are unlikely to be fatal if treated promtly and correctly or in fact at all in a healthy human adult.

One of the reasons we'd like a DWA here :)

Stunning lizards that look a chalenge to keep and extremely characterful.

#25 ·
they sleep on thier backs too... didnt know that till 2 days ago... not always ofcourse..

#27 ·
That said, there's some evidence that Komodos are not just extremely dirty-mouthed... According to some recent research by Brian Fry they are ALSO venomous.

And Mexican Beaded Lizards and Gila Monsters are not "poisonous" like, say, peach kernels are - you could cook one and eat it without being poisoned.
However, they are venomous - they actively introduce venom into their 'victims'.

#28 ·
From what I've read they are one of two lizards which produce venom. Not too sure but I think their venom is delivered from the bottom jaw.
It is not merely a reaction towards the saliva. In that case their would be more than two lizards considered venomous. Most monitors (In the wild anyway) will eat various carrion and so their saliva becomes more concentrated with bacteria.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.