Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own a tortoise but did have one as a child (was given to a tortoise sanctuary because we moved and no longer had a garden)
They are not really my thing (chameleons are) but i have a few questions mostly out of interest rather than anything else:

Why do a lot of care sheets say vivs are just NOT suitable? can they not be adapted?
Have seen a lot about incorrect thermal regulation in viv yet surely you could set one up with cold and warm spots?
Why a tortoise table as opposed to an enclosed vivarium?

Thats all folks..just trying to get a few things straight in my head!
(oh i do own a red eared slider but not really the same thing!:lol2: not at all in fact!)

Cheers!:) :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
im not sure of the ins and outs but a vivarium cannot produce enough of a temperature variant,tortoises need a the choice of a cool area and a basking spot and this cant be achieved in a viv
some vivs have been adapted eg taking off the doors all together or putting it on its back and taking off the doors. Also the glass is stressful for the tort as they see it as something to try and get through and constantly try and scrape their way through,its the same with a small hole,even though they cant get through it,they will constantly try to do it!
try looking on these websites for a more detailed reasons on why vivs are no good:
Tortoise Trust Web - Start Page
Shelled Warriors -i think theres a page on the forum about converting a viv
hth slightly :shock:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your easiest option is to click on this link Tortoise Trust Web - Indoor Housing & Vivarium Design
cheers guys...that link though is one of the ones that made me ask the questions!!! i keep chameleons and they also require thermal gradients (as do most reps) some quiet large ones. they also require good ventilation and stress easily but you adapt the viv to them..just wondered why this could not be done with torts in the same way? kerry i know you say they can be adapted but not in a lizardy way? do they have to have open tops like tort tables?
is it because people keep them incorrectly and so everyone says it has to be done this way or whats the point in keeping them? or are there not enough people keeping them?

sorry about all the questions!! just curiosity..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts