Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the lost world film today or ever. They stuck little bits spikes and things on a baby alligator and a nile monitor lizard so they lookde like dinosaurs, that wasnt so bad. But then they made hem fight each other the poor things i things they both probably got a hrash deal the alligator had teeth to cause some damage bu the monitor was going down easily either!Now i know why they say no animals were hurt in the making of this film now a days as those guys were *****!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
huh? what film is this? when was it made?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
It was made in 1960 before the use of CGI and animatronics. Luckily things have evolved since then, but in them days they were limited as to how they could do special effects.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
CGI hadnt been invented as we know it today, but alot of the diosaurs were computer generated, bu Industrial Light and Magic no less. Anamatronics most definately had been used too, i assume you're talking about Jurassic Park the Lost world, which was 1997 not 1960 and ive seen making of films that show the anamatronic puppets used for the big scenes.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i thougth he meant jurrasic park at first..but assuemd not as thats clearly in the time of cgi so assuem he means an old film...i still have never seen even an old film where it looks like the lizards are actually being harmed though.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
hmmm not heard of one other than Jurassic Park the Lost world.... must be really old if it is!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
It is the 1960's film, not a jurrassic park one. If films like these hadn't been made years ago using the methods they used at the time, perhaps the special effects we now have the luxury of watching wouldn't of been developed.

The films in the 50's & 60's were the start of special effects and due to the laughing stock they became (with animals with bits of plastic/cardbord stuck to them) they made the special effects teams look to better ways to do it.

Ok, I agree now its not acceptable and it is animal cruelty but if these people hadn't tried these ideas over 50 years ago we wouldn't have the blockbuster films we have now with the amazing CGI and animatronics.

As with most things, as time evolves people work out better ways of doing things and realise that some older methods were cruel.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, I saw this on tv, and turned it off straight away when I saw the monitor and alligator with the stuff stuff on them. I agree with tinkrebel's point, but I still think its absolutely awful, and won't watch it myself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It is the 1960's film, not a jurrassic park one. If films like these hadn't been made years ago using the methods they used at the time, perhaps the special effects we now have the luxury of watching wouldn't of been developed.

The films in the 50's & 60's were the start of special effects and due to the laughing stock they became (with animals with bits of plastic/cardbord stuck to them) they made the special effects teams look to better ways to do it.

Ok, I agree now its not acceptable and it is animal cruelty but if these people hadn't tried these ideas over 50 years ago we wouldn't have the blockbuster films we have now with the amazing CGI and animatronics.

As with most things, as time evolves people work out better ways of doing things and realise that some older methods were cruel.
can i just ask... so ure saying this is ok back then because blockbusters came out of it??.. im sure when these people made this film they knew it was cruel.. but obv didnt have the tech to pull it off.... i wonder if they actually thought they did a good job lol

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
can i just ask... so ure saying this is ok back then because blockbusters came out of it??.. im sure when these people made this film they knew it was cruel.. but obv didnt have the tech to pull it off.... i wonder if they actually thought they did a good job lol
I'm not saying its right or wrong, its happened and that's it.

If people hadn't gone out into countries where reptiles are native, caught them, shipped them, experimented with them, killed them before breeding them over here, perhaps we wouldn't be keeping them as the pets we choose to have.

Things change with the times, and what seemed like a good idea years ago, can later be seen as wrong. I'm sure back in 1950-60 very few people kept exotic reptiles, and didn't know or care about them, and were possibly scared of them. Its only because of the things that people have done (taking them from the wild) that we are more educated on them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Definatly.. its just a shame when you know that people who did these films way back (not saying this one, as i havnt seen it) knew that what they were doin was cruel but just carried on to make money... and i definatly agree if people didnt experiance reps in any way we wouldnt have them in our homes.. its the same with any animal we now keep as "pets".. there are still people that dont agree with keeping reps or any animal... do you think there was this much uproar when we decided to turn cats and dogs in to our pets? its just the norm now and you dont really hear about people not agreeing with having cats and dogs unless the dog is dangerous

1 - 13 of 13 Posts