Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read quite a few threads recently, along with a huge list of comments that are often patroniseing and offensive its made me wonder what the true meaning of RFUK is all about!
I believed it to be a place where reptile and exotic animal owners (or potentials) could join up and learn more on thier chosen subjects, for the old timers to HELP and ADVISE and for everyone to chat happily together as a community to raise awareness on the health, happiness and well being of these animals.
But it seems to me that if somebody writes a thread on here asking for advice they get swamped with nasty comments that leave people feeling like they are incapeable of wipeing thier own arse, let alone care for a reptile.
I am by no means an expert, but if i see a question i know the answer to i answer it as helpfully as i can...am i wrong for doing this or have i got the whole point of this site wrong???

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Having read quite a few threads recently, along with a huge list of comments that are often patroniseing and offensive its made me wonder what the true meaning of RFUK is all about!
I believed it to be a place where reptile and exotic animal owners (or potentials) could join up and learn more on thier chosen subjects, for the old timers to HELP and ADVISE and for everyone to chat happily together as a community to raise awareness on the health, happiness and well being of these animals.
But it seems to me that if somebody writes a thread on here asking for advice they get swamped with nasty comments that leave people feeling like they are incapeable of wipeing thier own arse, let alone care for a reptile.
I am by no means an expert, but if i see a question i know the answer to i answer it as helpfully as i can...am i wrong for doing this or have i got the whole point of this site wrong???
Shut up, who do you think you are, come strolling onto a public forum, asking questions, wanting answers.

I'm watching you me lado!!!!

JOKE based on the subject incase you hadn't got it yet, and if you haven't and quote this you'll look like a spoon with your inevitable reply, unless its nice then kudos to you

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
It's been like this since i joined. Somtime they do deserve a good telling off though! I mean half the time they get loads of advice and info - then ignore everyone and neglect their rep's.

Who wouldn't wana have a go? :devil:

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I'm probably one of the main offenders when it comes to being blunt with people, (I don't think I'm rude though), but it is only with the pillocks that won't listen or who are just plain idiotic. There's only so many times you can give someone advice before it gets a bit annoying, especially if they ask the same thing over and over hoping to get a different answer as they didn't like the answer they got the first, second, third....etc...time.

I think I'm fairly polite and helpful the rest of the time though!

Moral of the story, don't act like a plank and you won't get treated like one!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
some people are to serious but we all have one thing in common ..................

and that is we care about the care that reptiles should get wether we upset someone for telling them they are wrong well tough on them

i am no expert but i give help where i can but will give silly answers if i feel the person is p**s taking

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ginnerone, surely if u cared about these animals you would want to share your knowledge to help make sure people do the correct things to help thier reptile stay healthy??? and by the way im not a laddo!

But yes i agree some people deserve a slap lol for not listening!!

And what gets my goat is people who decide they want to make some cash so start looking for something to breed without even having owned that species. They have guts and need to be slung out lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
Shut up, who do you think you are, come strolling onto a public forum, asking questions, wanting answers.

I'm watching you me lado!!!!

JOKE based on the subject incase you hadn't got it yet, and if you haven't and quote this you'll look like a spoon with your inevitable reply, unless its nice then kudos to you
I second that! Lol. Nah there's some great people on here and we can all only go by our own experiences. There's a lot of "experts" on here who have never actually kept the animal in question or even seen one. And as usual you get the "keyboard gangstas" (forget who said that on here originally but I love the expression so have borrowed it) that you get all over the net "oh I'm gonna come and beat you even though I'm sat on a computer eating crisps blah blah blah!!" Lol. You just have to ignore them and take what you want from other peoples opinions. Having said that certain people do ask peoples opinions on stuff (saw 1 about thermostats recently) and spend the rest of the time arguing about what anyone else says but I tend to stay away from them threads. I've had some great advice from here and just ignore the idiots who try and start fights :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dickvansheepcake yeah i totally agree with that.
But sometimes it is just a novice who asks generally because theyre not sure and want to bring thier rep up correctly.
I asked ages ago about putting two beardies together. I genuinly didnt know and seemed to get a mixed reaction when i asked in shops etc, and on here i got my head bitten off, being told i should own one if i dont know how to look after it etc. I thought it was a bit harsh but listened to the advice and gave one to a good home.

Some people though jump straight into being rude and aggressive though. Need more peeps like you who r just honest :2thumb: and care about the reps welfare

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Ginnerone, surely if u cared about these animals you would want to share your knowledge to help make sure people do the correct things to help thier reptile stay healthy??? and by the way im not a laddo!

SPOON!!!!!!!!!

Step 1, quote my original post

Step 2, Get a mirror

Step 3, look in the mirror and say "I'm a spoon"

Step 4, next time check for hidden messages and look up the meaning of 'sarcastic'

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
The meaning of RFUK is simply a forum to chat about any of the subjects it covers; like any other forum. Whether it's to hang around the classifieds like a bad smell collecting the set, giving as much advice as possible or trying to pick up new lizard recipes.

It isn't a fan club, or a secret sect. There's no oath to be sworn that we all love reptiles and promise to do our best by them.
If you ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer.
If you can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds helping yourself before posting then don't expect somebody to spend 30 minutes helping you.,

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree with the above, but I see the problem as well.

Even when I have started a thread in regards to a certain species that I have kept for many years and I am just looking to start up a conversation with other keepers or get pics.... I get some people contacting me telling me what I need to do and that I shouldnt do this or that etc... when they dont keep nor have they ever kept the animal.

Even when I have not asked for advice, especially getting it from someone who has just googled the animal in question.

There are too many people trying to force there opinions on others and I dont think thats the best way.

It can be a great source of information and I enjoy reading other people's exploits, but it can be ruined by a few stupid posts.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm probably one of the main offenders when it comes to being blunt with people, (I don't think I'm rude though), but it is only with the pillocks that won't listen or who are just plain idiotic. There's only so many times you can give someone advice before it gets a bit annoying, especially if they ask the same thing over and over hoping to get a different answer as they didn't like the answer they got the first, second, third....etc...time.

I think I'm fairly polite and helpful the rest of the time though!

Moral of the story, don't act like a plank and you won't get treated like one!
Some people need being blunt with. On a thread last night someone who was considering breeding gold tegus tried telling a potential buyer that a 4x2 viv would be ideal for a 3ft. Lizard :gasp: wasn't rude but explained how wrong that was!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had someone that wanted to buy my APH the other week. He had never had one before but wanted to breed from her to see 'if he liked it'....he got more than a just a no to me selling her!!!

But again, some people just generally want to know. Its like when u have your first baby...just because ur a new mum and dont know why the baby wont stop crying doesnt make u a bad parent, just that you are learning and want the right answers. Thats what im talking about.

But yeah it is nice to chat to people with the same interests as most people i know think having reptiles and live insects in the house is too frightening lol so nice chatting to people on here and learning about other species etc

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stevemusson i find the worst offenders are often the reptile shops, trying to sell you heat mats and rocks n stuff you dont need or shouldnt use just to get you spending more or to make a quick sale. They need shooting!!: victory:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had someone that wanted to buy my APH the other week. He had never had one before but wanted to breed from her to see 'if he liked it'....he got more than a just a no to me selling her!!!

But again, some people just generally want to know. Its like when u have your first baby...just because ur a new mum and dont know why the baby wont stop crying doesnt make u a bad parent, just that you are learning and want the right answers. Thats what im talking about.

But yeah it is nice to chat to people with the same interests as most people i know think having reptiles and live insects in the house is too frightening lol so nice chatting to people on here and learning about other species etc
I find exactly that. I've been keeping reptiles over 10 years but most of my friends find them strange and some are disgusted by the thought of keeping crickets and having mice in the freezer or are scared of snakes so I find it good bouncing ideas off people. My threads are generally along the lines of "I've done this, is it right?" And I get people adding stuff or giving advice on what's better

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,607 Posts
This is a forum open to all. Just like any "community" there will be nice ppl, helpful ppl, funny ppl, psychopaths and idiots.

I would love it if we could confine the membership to those who are polite and helpful (plus ginnerone and Meko of course :whistling2:) The mods do a pretty good job of balancing the rights of an individual member to be protected and the rights of the rest of us to free speech.

For a new keeper to get an answer that is guaranteed to be polite and helpful they should use the newbie section.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
too many egos on here, people who want to tell you what they own and how long they have owned and how oh so experienced they are.but also too many newbs who CBA reading the same materials we have all had to read ourselves.

there was a thread the other day about someone who has a new iguana and they have done loads of research but are wondering what to feed their iguana, it is not interested in the insects it is being offered.

crazy. its hard to help someone who cant help themselves or as meko said spend 30 secs typin in google or something.

usually it is the rep that will suffer the perils of the egos.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol stevemusson. I love it! the more they react the more i wanna get to proove how great they are.
And you put it prefectly Jools, BALANCE is whats needed.
Is there no way of stopping those who join just because they have heard you can make money from breeding etc so join up to buy what they need and stuff. Theres so many of them its a nightmare!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Lol stevemusson. I love it! the more they react the more i wanna get to proove how great they are.
And you put it prefectly Jools, BALANCE is whats needed.
Is there no way of stopping those who join just because they have heard you can make money from breeding etc so join up to buy what they need and stuff. Theres so many of them its a nightmare!
Think anyone who sees breeding reptiles as an easy way of making money is in for a shock. I thought of breeding beardies for pleasure but soon realised I would potentially have hundreds of dragons I couldn't get rid of. Had to explain to someone at work who had no experience of reptiles this as they saw it as a way of making fast buck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts