Reptile Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
when the basing spot and uvb lights are off for the night the thermomiters are within 1 degree of each other which is right soo.... the only thing i can think is the thermomiter on the wall is to far away to be accurate enough.

this brings me back o the drawing board because if a perminate themomiter probe is on the spot exactly, ether the beardie lays on it giving a fulse reading or knocks it away from the basking spot.
The thermometer on the wall is not in the basking spot so won't register as high as the basking spot. A 10 degree difference is fine as you're looking to have a lower temperature out of the basking spot anyway.

As for the Beardy laying on the basking spot probe, don't you think everyone would have this issue? Just get the basking spot correct and then move the probe to the side slightly, make a note of the temp and use that as your guide. Then just periodically check the basking spot, simples.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The thermometer on the wall is not in the basking spot so won't register as high as the basking spot. A 10 degree difference is fine as you're looking to have a lower temperature out of the basking spot anyway.

As for the Beardy laying on the basking spot probe, don't you think everyone would have this issue? Just get the basking spot correct and then move the probe to the side slightly, make a note of the temp and use that as your guide. Then just periodically check the basking spot, simples.
if the wall thermomiter is 85f and i remember the thermoiter under teh basking spot the temp could be anything from 106f to 121F which is way to hot and i would not know it was to high if i did remove the thermomiter from the acctual basking spot

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
if the wall thermomiter is 85f and i remember the thermoiter under teh basking spot the temp could be anything from 106f to 121F which is way to hot and i would not know it was to high if i did remove the thermomiter from the acctual basking spot
Is the wall thermometer a "dial" type or a digital?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
its temperature diffusion.

Go only by the temp on your basking spot and disregard the temp on your probe.

The heat generated at the basking spot will diffuse into the air and disperce, that why your probe spot temp isnt keeping sync with your basking spot temp.

Bit like a drop of ink in water, the futher out it goes the more it dilutes. The two will never keep sync temp.

So if you basking spot goes up by ie 10 degrees, then the heat will diffuse into the air and may only make a 2 degree difference at your probe.

Problem is it also work the other way round, a 2 degree diffs at the probe will make a 10 degree diffs at your basking spot.

So to get it set you'll need to move your probe either further away or closer until your actual basking spot temp stays within the set temp range.

(numbers are for eg only btw, dont use them as maths at all.)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
its temperature diffusion.

Go only by the temp on your basking spot and disregard the temp on your probe.

The heat generated at the basking spot will diffuse into the air and disperce, that why your probe spot temp isnt keeping sync with your basking spot temp.

Bit like a drop of ink in water, the futher out it goes the more it dilutes. The two will never keep sync temp.

So if you basking spot goes up by ie 10 degrees, then the heat will diffuse into the air and may only make a 2 degree difference at your probe.

Problem is it also work the other way round, a 2 degree diffs at the probe will make a 10 degree diffs at your basking spot.

So to get it set you'll need to move your probe either further away or closer until your actual basking spot temp stays within the set temp range.

(numbers are for eg only btw, dont use them as maths at all.)
its like going around in circles:bash: this whole thread has been about the difficulty of having the probe on the basking spot, go read what i first wrote.

if it wa just a case of having the probe on the basking spot id have not even opened the threads , as that how it was before.

the discusttions is a alternative to putting the probe right on the basking spot

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
ok...

at the minute you have your thermometer on the basking spot and you're measuring the right temperatures. By moving the thermometer to the wall isn't going to change any temperatures, you'll just be reading a the temperature in a different place.

If your basking spot is reading 110f, and you move the thermometer to the back wall and it reads 102f then your basking spot is still going to be 110f.
The next day, if your temperature on the back wall is reading 102f then your basking spot will still be 110f. You're not moving anything that controls the temperature, you're only moving what you're reading the temperature on.
A thermometer is a visual reference check point and nothing else. If you're really that worried about it then spend £20 on an infra red thermometer and you can just point it at the basking spot and get a reading whenever you want.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I never said put it at the basking spot. that wont work as the stats don't go that high.

What I said is that instead now keeping adjusting your stat, move the probe slighly instead until you basking temp stays stable.

I think you probe may position may need adjusting a bit not your stat setting.

Its hard to judge as each vivs air currents work differently due to where the vents are and gaps in glass etc.

Set it as close as you can, then tweek it by moving the probe position rather than the stat setting.

(edit) cross posted with Meko there.

Fully agree with him there also.

Your over complicating the settings I think.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
does your beardie bask happily, or does he spen alot of time in the cool end,
i dont watch my temps at all just watch my dragon, if he is basking all the time i raise his basking spot if he doesent bask much i drop it

i know my temps are around 120f some times an my beardie still sits there loving the heat, it just means he has to go and cool down more often

Reactions: jools

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ok...

at the minute you have your thermometer on the basking spot and you're measuring the right temperatures. By moving the thermometer to the wall isn't going to change any temperatures, you'll just be reading a the temperature in a different place.

If your basking spot is reading 110f, and you move the thermometer to the back wall and it reads 102f then your basking spot is still going to be 110f.
The next day, if your temperature on the back wall is reading 102f then your basking spot will still be 110f. You're not moving anything that controls the temperature, you're only moving what you're reading the temperature on.
A thermometer is a visual reference check point and nothing else. If you're really that worried about it then spend £20 on an infra red thermometer and you can just point it at the basking spot and get a reading whenever you want.
OMG you havent read what i said, this i why its frustratin because it all gets lost in translation because people dont read the posts properlly.

i just said what happens is this, the wall temp says 85F right? so i useaanother thermomiter tempuary as advised to clbrate the wll thermimiter right???

well heres what happened the wall thermomiter said 85F the basking spot said 106F, the wall temp kept saying 85F while the basing spot rose to 121F plus the wall temp still said 85F

the point is, if the thermomiter on the baskin spot wasnt there the temp couldbe anything up to 121F plus and id never know because the wall temp would still say 85F which proabablly means its reading ambient temp and not the temp of the basking spot which makes the wall temp redundant since its the basking spot i want to monitor

if the heat difference was between 106F and 110 or even 113F but never rose above that it would besimple but it dont

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
ok I think I know what your on about.

Try direct your basking light directly at that side thermometer, if it doesnt change then its not working properly. Ignore it.

Also double test it by putting your other thermometer at the same spot, if they dont read the same within a degree or two then one of them isnt working properly. dont trust the side one.

edit

That will then leave you with only one thermometer to work with. Use that one to set your main basking temperature first. Turn your stat right down, and slowly turn it up until your basking temp is set. Once that is holding properly, then use that thermometer to check your hot side temp also.

If that then shows a higher temp than your side thermometer is, then get a new side thermometer.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
OMG you havent read what i said, this i why its frustratin because it all gets lost in translation because people dont read the posts properlly.

i just said what happens is this, the wall temp says 85F right? so i useaanother thermomiter tempuary as advised to clbrate the wll thermimiter right???
WHAT?

why do you need to calibrate anything... this is what you don't understand,

your heat bulb is plugged into a thermostat, the thermostat probe is in the vivarium and YOU ARE NOT MOVING THAT.

All you are doing is moving a visual aid (the thermometer) away from th basking spot and onto the wall. The thermometer DOES NOT CONTROL THE HEAT it just tells you what it is.
therefore you do not need to calibrate anything as you are not moving a heat control device

well heres what happened the wall thermomiter said 85F the basking spot said 106F, the wall temp kept saying 85F while the basing spot rose to 121F plus the wall temp still said 85F
you're not actually telling the truth are you? because moving a thermometer doesn't increase the temperature. if your basking spot read 121f then it was still 121f with the old thermometer.

Again, the thermometer only reads the temperature... it doesn't control it.

the point is, if the thermomiter on the baskin spot wasnt there the temp couldbe anything up to 121F plus and id never know because the wall temp would still say 85F which proabablly means its reading ambient temp and not the temp of the basking spot which makes the wall temp redundant since its the basking spot i want to monitor
the thermometer will read the temperature where the probe is. so if you put a different thermometer on the basking spot and it read 121f then your first thermometer could well be faulty.

if the heat difference was between 106F and 110 or even 113F but never rose above that it would besimple but it dont
like i've mentioned too many times.
the thermometer doesn't control the temperature.

now either you don't understand or you're not explaining it very well.
If you seem to think that 10 people on the internet don't understand then are 10 people wrong or are you explaining it wrong?

if it helps, add pictures.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
ok I think I know what your on about.

Try direct your basking light directly at that side thermometer, if it doesnt change then its not working properly. Ignore it.

Also double test it by putting your other thermometer at the same spot, if they dont read the same within a degree or two then one of them isnt working properly. dont trust the side one.

edit

That will then leave you with only one thermometer to work with. Use that one to set your main basking temperature first. Turn your stat right down, and slowly turn it up until your basking temp is set. Once that is holding properly, then use that thermometer to check your hot side temp also.

If that then shows a higher temp than your side thermometer is, then get a new side thermometer.
Finally some new advice based on what i was actually writin about al this time.

thankyou ill give this one a try

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
lol to be perfectly honest Chris, it did take some working out and a bit of luck to boot. Just read back through all of it and the guys were telling you the exact answers to the questions you were asking. I think maybe you weren't explaining it as clearly as you thought you were.

Either way. If you figure out you cant trust one of your thermometers, then replace. If that doesn't solve the issue then you get back to the heat diffusion issue.

Reactions: andy007
21 - 34 of 34 Posts