Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my 4 1/2 year old royal has been a terrible feeder for the past 12 months. Tonight I'm going to combine individual tips for getting non-feeders going again into a triple whammy, non-feeder combo (I'm copyrighting that).

Firstly, I'm going to use multi-mammates. Secondly, I'm going to brain them. Thirdly, I'm going to warm their heads up before feeding. Actually, I'm also using smaller prey items than he would normally handle, as that is apparently known to help. Technically, that makes this a quadruple whammy, but that just doesn't sound as cool!

Wish me well in my quest :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
hmm to spark one of my males off eating again after a 9 and a half month fast

all i had to do aparantly was tickle his belly with it probably to remind him thats where it goes

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
good luck ,

heating the head works for me , but ive never noticed a difference when braining them .

i do it at night with low low lights with plenty of peace and quiet and slow movements works for me

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm to spark one of my males off eating again after a 9 and a half month fast

all i had to do aparantly was tickle his belly with it probably to remind him thats where it goes
haha that's certainly a new one - I'll keep it in mind!

good luck ,

heating the head works for me , but ive never noticed a difference when braining them .

i do it at night with low low lights with plenty of peace and quiet and slow movements works for me
I'd never considered using low lighting - thanks for that.

Good luck!
Thank you :2thumb:

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
if that doesnt work, try chicks.

offer just the head first, but cut off below the neck just where the body starts so you get some of the blood and matter from the body. also brain it, and offer it warmed

you might need to hold it right upto its nose.

this worked for two non-feeders i had, after a few feeds of this sucessfully, i then moved on the whole chick which both now strike feed no problems

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if that doesnt work, try chicks.

offer just the head first, but cut off below the neck just where the body starts so you get some of the blood and matter from the body. also brain it, and offer it warmed

you might need to hold it right upto its nose.

this worked for two non-feeders i had, after a few feeds of this sucessfully, i then moved on the whole chick which both now strike feed no problems
Thanks SilverSky. I've been keeping this in mind as a last resort, as I hear it can be very difficult to get them off chicks once you start. Do yours feed exclusively on chicks now?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Thanks SilverSky. I've been keeping this in mind as a last resort, as I hear it can be very difficult to get them off chicks once you start. Do yours feed exclusively on chicks now?
one will only eat chicks at the moment but the other will eat other things to. i have heard they can be hard to get snakes off of but i also have several royals and two boas that alternate between chicks and mice/rats, so theyre happily eating other things to.

i have birds of prey so i've always got chicks around so its great to be able to use them, theyre nice for a bit of variety and since i buy in bulk they're nice and cheap. no pun intended! :lol2:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one will only eat chicks at the moment but the other will eat other things to. i have heard they can be hard to get snakes off of but i also have several royals and two boas that alternate between chicks and mice/rats, so theyre happily eating other things to.

i have birds of prey so i've always got chicks around so its great to be able to use them, theyre nice for a bit of variety and since i buy in bulk they're nice and cheap. no pun intended! :lol2:

haha awesome pun nonetheless :lol2:

I love birds of prey. I was so fortunate to see a White Tailed Sea Eagle fly over my head and grab a fish out of the water, whilst on a boat trip on the Isle of Skye three weeks ago. Amazing stuff :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Epic fail. He struck at the prey for the first time in well over a year (he's been primarily a drop-feeder for the past 2 years). However, he missed and I dropped the mouse. I've tried picking it up and attempting to get him to strike again but he's having none of it. Here hoping he eats them during the night.

I'm counting my blessings though; the fact that he struck shows he's interested in food again :no1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts