Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was seeing things when the sand we use for our Leo started moving..but no, I wasn't...it was definitely moving! :gasp:
We have kept our Leo on calci-sand her entire life (5 yrs approx) and shes never had any compactions/passing sand/etc, so changing it was never an urgency. At the back of her viv, and bordering the step-up on her bottom shelf (she has a 3 tier viv) is "bark" - that exo-terra cork type stuff.

Well it turns out that every now and then a mealie has escaped, despite there only being 4/5 in her bowl at once- usually because she knocks one out when she's pouncing on another. Normally Pebble will catch these right off but she's gotten pretty lazy and obviously hasn't caught them all. Well....due to the warm weather we've been having the mealies have been turning pretty fast and we ended up with beetles scavenging around all over the place in her viv, which is in front of some pipes that run into my bathroom above.. wal-ah, beetles all over my house!! :help: Surprisingly (or not) they munched their way through the cork bark and are now living in it... and what do flour beetles produce?! Tonnes more mealies!!!! :cussing:

Sooo...the moving sand is in fact loads and loads...and loads..and loads (I could go on) of tiny, weeny mealies, all over the place. It's never ending!! I keep picking them out but alas I'm never gonna win this one..

:war:

So it's off to B&Q Friday to get some stone tiles and an alternative bordering to cork and to rip the lot out... damn mealies!! :bash:

...oh and for anyone making it to the end...well done. And do you think the tiny worms pose any kind of threat to my Leo? =[ I didn't think they would, since it's apparant she's eating some of them (hence her getting lazy and not eating the other stuff)..

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I use raid cockroach and ant killer round the house to kill off any escaped roaches and worms it is great. Only thing is once you start using it any worms or roaches you catch have to go straight in the bin or where ever rather than back in the viv.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts