Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like to present the PDF version of our flyer - The Truth About Reptiles: Responsible keepers vs Lush's lies!

Please pass it around, email it, print it, describe it and do anything and everything you want with it.

Special thanks goes to Sephiroth, Natrix, Chris Newman, Paulds, TheMetaphysicalNinja, SpikeBrit, Andy007 and countless others for input, support, suggestions, gentle rebukes, feedback and general banter.

Without further ado...

Clicky for linky!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Good job mate printing now :)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Is this still in the editing stage?

The first sentence I read - 'Reptiles are the oldest species of animal on the planet' just makes no sense i'm afraid :(

The reptiles are a class, not a species - and are by no means the 'oldest' on the planet. Invertebrates are animals too!

I also didn't know that Crested Geckos were ever released - where abouts did you read that?

Sorry to nit-pick :blush: but we can't fight untruths with untruths, it would just defeat the whole object of the exercise!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I am unable to view it as my work system wont allow me to download the PDF, I'm sure you've rocked it though dude.

Thank you on behalf of everyone for your help with this. : victory:

If anyone can post this in another format it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Is this still in the editing stage?

The first sentence I read - 'Reptiles are the oldest species of animal on the planet' just makes no sense i'm afraid :(

The reptiles are a class, not a species - and are by no means the 'oldest' on the planet. Invertebrates are animals too!

I also didn't know that Crested Geckos were ever released - where abouts did you read that?

Sorry to nit-pick :blush: but we can't fight untruths with untruths, it would just defeat the whole object of the exercise!
Agree with this, however, if these things can be addressed I would be more than happy to print and hand out these flyers in Taunton and *possibly* Exeter.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If you can't view the PDF here's what it says- except the pdf is prettier with pictures lol.​

THE TRUTH

ABOUT REPTILES​
- RESPONSIBLE, LOVING KEEPERS VS LUSH’S LIES! -​
•​
The Animal Protection Agency is NOT a charity – and does not advise the government as they claim!
• LUSH has
been referred to the Advertising Standards Authority for their "I’m a chameleon, get me out of here" campaign. A previous, similar complaint against LUSH was upheld by the ASA, forcing LUSH to withdraw their advertising. Here are just a few of the many bits of misinformation you’re being fed!

LUSH’S LIES, DAMNED LIES AND STATISTICS!"​

"Some dodgy dealers readily claim that reptiles are easier to keep than dogs!" – LUSH & the APA​
The​
Companion Animal Welfare Council is the UK Government’s chosen advisory body on animal welfare issues. The CAWC’s view on reptile keeping differs somewhat from the bleak picture presented by the APA:
"Meeting all the requirements (space, dietary, social, thermal, and so on) of a small, hardy, reptile may be
more readily achievable for many people than adequately fulfilling all the needs of some breeds of dog."

[Source: The UK Companion Animal Welfare Council]​
"Six million reptiles were imported into the EU last year and almost 200,000 arrived in Britain from outside of the EU" – LUSH & the APA​
These figures are completely incorrect. HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17,194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which​
9,800 were captive bred and 7,394 wild caught. In addition, many species are exclusively bred by keepers. Take one of the reptiles featured in LUSH’s campaign – the Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo Calyptratus). Of the 250 exported worldwide, 100% were bred in captivity, none were wild caught!

[Source: UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre, HMRC]​
"​
The trade in wild-caught reptiles is driving species towards extinction" – LUSH & the APA

False. The majority of reptiles are bred in captivity. Furthermore, many​
endangered species, such as the Hogg Island Boa, have been restored to their habitats after breeding by keepers and careful wildlife restoration campaigns. The Crested Gecko, once thought to be extinct, is now one of the most widely bred lizards in the world and is thriving in the wild – thanks to responsible and caring owners!

[​
Source: World Wildlife Fund]

"Many commercial reptile-breeding operations in the UK routinely operate outside of the law, are unlicensed and un-inspected, and conditions are invariably inhumane" - LUSH & the APA​
All reptile breeders fall under the Animal Welfare act (2006) and can be inspected. RSPCA data shows that that​
90% fewer prosecutions are brought against reptile keepers than any other animal owners. More reptiles (8 million) are kept as pets than dogs (6 million) in the UK. Annually there are 25,000 dogs rehomed, but only 1000 reptiles. Dogs are more than 25 times more likely to need rehoming than lizards or snakes

[​
Source: the RSPCA, figures from 2003-2004]

"There is very little reliable information available on basic reptile care. Good quality information is largely inaccessible to the general public" – LUSH & the APA​
Pet Marketing Services is the largest distributor of animal care books in the UK. They offer 104 titles on horses, 136 on cats and 200 on reptiles.​
Today there is more information published on reptile care than just about any other companion animal

[Source: Pet Marketing Services]​
"​
Most wild caught reptiles die within the first year" – LUSH & the APA

The truth is that​
reptiles kept in captivity are likely
to live twice as long
as their wild counterparts

[Source: The British Veterinary Zoological Society]​
"​
Over half of the 200,000 imported reptiles die in transit – and are written off as acceptable losses" – LUSH & the APA

Official figures​
show that the actual figure is less than 0.5% - and as more reptiles are bred in the UK, less than ever are being imported so it’ll go down even more!

[Source: HM Revenue and Customs, BAA Heathrow Airport]​

This sheet has been created with support from the members of Reptile Forums UK (Reptile Forums - HomePage) and the Federation of British Herpetologists​
(Federation of British Herpetologists) – the best sources for accurate, honest information about reptiles!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ach, more changes? Well, fair enough. Whatever's been requested by 1:30pm will be included, at which point we've got to draw a line under it. This weekend will be key for protests and handouts - so we need the flyer to be ready very soon.

1:30pm is the close for ALL changes. Ay thank yew.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Agree with this, however, if these things can be addressed I would be more than happy to print and hand out these flyers in Taunton and *possibly* Exeter.
Absolutely - sorry, just realised my post was a bit bleak... Otherwise the flyer is great :2thumb: I like how each point is addressed with a nice short paragraph, and referenced with well known authorities : victory:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Oh bum, just finished printing out 100 copies, bleh, oh well it isnt my ink its works :p

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I'd still change "less than ever are being imported" to "fewer than ever...", sorry to keep banging on about this but grammar is important for the reason I mentioned earlier, as important as getting our facts right, if someone like me doesn't pull it apart you can bet your life one of them will!

·
Registered
942 Posts
any news on a latest version? Would like to re-print before i leave work :)

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
I posted this in another thread...
You haven't put full-stops on the end of many paragraphs.: victory:

Just my opinion, but wouldn't it be more effective if it was more simple and straight towards the point in some parts, and so reducing the amount of text and getting more people to have a read.

These figures are completely incorrect. HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17,194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which 9,800 were captive bred and 7,394 wild caught. In addition, many species are exclusively bred by keepers. Take one of the reptiles featured in LUSH’s campaign – the Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo Calyptratus). Of the 250 exported worldwide, 100% were bred in captivity, none were wild caught!

Instead something like....

Wrong.HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17, 194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which 9800 were captive bred and 7,394 wild caught.Many species are also exclusively bred by keepers.Of the 250 vieled chameleons exported worldwide, a species featured in LUSH's campaign, 100% were bred in captivity.

With bigger text maybe, I just feel that many people won't be bothered to read it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a reason for that - there are no full stops. The only punctuation marks are exclamations. You should never use punctuation in captions, boxouts or subheadings. Full stops are only used in the main body copy - which we don't have.

And while I do agree, shorter means better, unless we get these facts in, we don't have the impact. Less people may read it, but it'll have more impact on those who do.

Less has been swapped over.

Done and done! Clicky for linky!

·
Registered
942 Posts
re-printing now, cheers Khaos

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Ach, more changes? Well, fair enough. Whatever's been requested by 1:30pm will be included, at which point we've got to draw a line under it. This weekend will be key for protests and handouts - so we need the flyer to be ready very soon.

1:30pm is the close for ALL changes. Ay thank yew.

I understand your frustration, but when the newer versions aren't just agreed edits but actually come in with two or three 'new' bits then you should expect them to be analysed!

The top tag line is inaccurate and needs to be removed (the 'oldest species' bit, because as said earlier reptiles are not a 'species' and certainly aren't the oldest!)

I also agree with the Hogg and Crestie thing...with all the huge effort and 100's of drafts aimed at making sure it is water tight, it would seem silly to add a few erronous half truths at this final stage!

Just my opinion, but wouldn't it be more effective if it was more simple and straight towards the point in some parts, and so reducing the amount of text and getting more people to have a read.

These figures are completely incorrect. HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17,194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which 9,800 were captive bred and 7,394 wild caught. In addition, many species are exclusively bred by keepers. Take one of the reptiles featured in LUSH’s campaign – the Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo Calyptratus). Of the 250 exported worldwide, 100% were bred in captivity, none were wild caught!

Instead something like....

Wrong.HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17, 194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which 9800 were captive bred and 7,394 wild caught.Many species are also exclusively bred by keepers.Of the 250 vieled chameleons exported worldwide, a species featured in LUSH's campaign, 100% were bred in captivity.

With bigger text maybe, I just feel that many people won't be bothered to read it.
Way too late for an entire re-write and reformat (the edge quotes can simply be removed - it looked fine with them just up and down the edge), re-writing that paragraph would alter the whole formatting.

That said, if you can squeeze an 'only' in that would be really useful...

These figures are completely incorrect. HM Revenue & Customs report that: 17,194 reptiles were imported into the UK of which 9,800 were captive bred and ONLY 7,394 wild caught. In addition, many species are exclusively bred by keepers. Take one of the reptiles featured in LUSH’s campaign – the Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo Calyptratus). Of the 250 exported worldwide, 100% were bred in captivity, none were wild caught!

This may be all a little late, but if something's worth doing.....

(on a more personal note can I give a massive massive thank you to Khaos for all your efforts on this - you are a true hero! (just don't add more 'extra bits' on the final (final, final, final) effort!:devil::lol2:)

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
Sorry mate, cross post!

Final version quote on top is much better. Do you have a source for the wild release of crestie's and Hoggs?

(Also, shall I go through and remove the links to earlier version in the different threads or do they all link to the most upto date version?)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I say we run with what we have - I'm out of time and people need printouts asap. And yes, please to prune the other linkes and get rid so we've only got the final one!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.