Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyy possibly the noobish question ever n possibly will get slaughtered but what are thermostat exactly my corn n boa has light n heat mat without the thermostat and are doing fine

thank you for your help

·
Registered
865 Posts
its a can of worms so get ready for a good slaughter.

In short

your snakes are doing fine for now, a stat will protect your snakes against possible future problems caused by possible faulty heating devices that overheat or even start a fire, it will also help protect against overheating or underheating your snake by allowing you to utilise a slightly larger ceramic/bulb than you would usually use, this way if the room temps should drop or rise the power to the heating device will be increased or decreased to maintain a consistent temp...

In essence its a safety net that for 30-40 quid offers peace of mind for you and protection for your snake.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
heyy possibly the noobish question ever n possibly will get slaughtered but what are thermostat exactly my corn n boa has light n heat mat without the thermostat and are doing fine

thank you for your help
Just because they are doing fine now....doesnt mean that will always be the case.
thermostats control the right temp for the snake in question. it has a dial with temp settings on that keeps the temp from getting too high or low for that particular snake. over heating can cause neuro problems/illness/death and other problems and an unstatted heatmat can cause thermal burns to a snake that will cost a lot of money to put right at a vets (if it survives)
They are a very important bit of kit in many peoples eyes. all 11 of my snakes have their own thermostat as i wouldnt want anything to happen to any of them. heres some pics i quickly got off google showing burns from heatmats

WARNIG......GRAPHIC PICS

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
any heat source NEED a thermostat this cuts the power once it reaches the set temperature.
a heat mate without a thermostat will easily reach 40c+ an could cause severe burms or start a fire and bulb will get even hotter, i put 100w bulb in my locust tank that doesnt have a stat an it was up to nearly 60c within minutes.

you NEED to get a mat stat for the mat.
a dimming or pp stat for the bulb, both of these will work for a ceramic but you need a dimming stat if using a infa red bulb.

how warm is your house?
i would suggest putting some warm not hot water bottles in with the snakes and to turn off the heat sources otherwise you risk your snakes getting burned which will cost you a lot of money at the vets and cause a lot of pain to them.

you NEED to get the thermostats asap
you will also need 2 digital thermometers to measure the temps

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Short answer: A thermostat is a piece of equipment that keeps your mat from getting too hot.

Slightly longer answer: As above, mats can get bloody hot without a thermostat, enough to cause burns as pictured. I'd recommend you get yourself a mat stat or preferably a pulse stat, which will safely regulate your mat to a set temperature - say 30 degrees C.

This might help you out a bit - Thermostats Explained

EDIT: For the bulb, go for a dimmer stat :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys will be getting them as soon as possible place where i got them dint say owt about thermostats.

again thank you for your help

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Short answer: A thermostat is a piece of equipment that keeps your mat from getting too hot.

Slightly longer answer: As above, mats can get bloody hot without a thermostat, enough to cause burns as pictured. I'd recommend you get yourself a mat stat or preferably a pulse stat, which will safely regulate your mat to a set temperature - say 30 degrees C.

This might help you out a bit - Thermostats Explained

EDIT: For the bulb, go for a dimmer stat :)

That article is dangerously misleading, as it suggests that a single thermostat can control several heat sources. The types of thermostat commonly used have a single probe and single circuit, so they can only control one source.

It also fails to mention that you need to measure the temperature using a separate thermometer, since the temperature scales on the thermostat are completely inaccurate.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
whats the best type of thermostats?
Pulse for ceramic, mat stat for mat, dimmer for bulb or pulse for all of those except bulb which dimmer stat is always best for : victory:

·
Registered
379 Posts
cheers guys will be getting them as soon as possible place where i got them dint say owt about thermostats.

again thank you for your help
Saw the same thing at a reptile shop in Barnsley. Guy walks in and goes out with a snake setup including snake. Very little advice and no stat. I know I'm new to snakes having only owned mine for 3 years, but it took about 2 years of info gathering before I took the plunge and bought one.

I would defo go and get a stat for peace of mind and a more content snake.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Saw the same thing at a reptile shop in Barnsley. Guy walks in and goes out with a snake setup including snake. Very little advice and no stat. I know I'm new to snakes having only owned mine for 3 years, but it took about 2 years of info gathering before I took the plunge and bought one.

I would defo go and get a stat for peace of mind and a more content snake.
Its a common thing for some strange reason that some shops fail to mention how important a stat is.....ive come to the conclusion that as shops sell vivs.decor and the snakes at such high prices, they maybe think they will lose the sale if they add the extortionate price of a stat on top...ive seen stats in some shops at almost £60...which is almost double the price of the likes of surrey pets supplies and the like. adding that ontop of an already very pricey shop bill might be too expensive for some new keepers, so the shop doesnt want to lose the sale altogether.....so dont mention it maybe...thats just my theory : victory:

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That article is dangerously misleading, as it suggests that a single thermostat can control several heat sources.
Hi mate - when you say several heat sources, do you mean different types of heating (say a mat and a bulb) or multiples of the same (eg 3 x mats)?

I think the majority of people use a single stat for multiple tubs in a rack for example, or like one stat per row of tubs.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It really winds me up how many shops offer "everything you need package" for beginners but don't include thermostat. Grrrrrrrr!

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's amazing how many people come into the pet shop I work for who don't use a thermostat, or have no idea what one even is! I've had people tell me they've no idea what temperatures their Bearded Dragon / Snake / Gecko, etc, enclosures are. Terrifying!
:gasp:

·
Banned
300 Posts
I have had 3 local shops that sell retiles, that they dont feel a need for thermostats so dont stock them at all. Absolutely shocking.

I even had 1 shop take one of my iSTATs for over 6 weeks for trial and after the six weeks they returned it saying it wasnt something they could sell. I switched it on and discovered it was still in factory default mode, so they hadnt even bothered plugging it in themselves.

·
Registered
673 Posts
just playing devils advocate but how did people manage in days gone by without the bells and whistles:whistling2: btw i have stats on all mine:lol2:

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
just playing devils advocate but how did people manage in days gone by without the bells and whistles:whistling2: btw i have stats on all mine:lol2:
No doubt most people managed fine...with now and again snakes being burnt...which is what probably gave enough reason for some bright spark to realise something like this needed inventing : victory:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Hi mate - when you say several heat sources, do you mean different types of heating (say a mat and a bulb) or multiples of the same (eg 3 x mats)?

I think the majority of people use a single stat for multiple tubs in a rack for example, or like one stat per row of tubs.
I meant multiples of the same, but it applies to either. I know many people use a single stat attached to several heat sources (usually mats in racks). In the majority of cases, this works fine, but the thermostat is only really controlling a single mat. If one of the mats that doesn't have the probe nearby overheats, then the thermostat will not switch off the power to that mat. It could even catch fire and the thermostat would be unaware of this.

What usually happens in practice is that people use several mats which are similar enough that they all heat to the same level as the controlled mat. If an object (such as a snake) is placed above one of the uncontrolled mats, though, the heat doesn't dissipate as quickly as the controlled one and it can overheat.

As I said - most people don't have a problem with this, but I don't like to see it recommended as good practice, that's all.

Reactions: knowlex
1 - 20 of 24 Posts