Reptile Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
No doubt most people managed fine...with now and again snakes being burnt...which is what probably gave enough reason for some bright spark to realise something like this needed inventing : victory:
I totally agree. All we need now is for people to design some decent ones!

Reactions: Artisan

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I meant multiples of the same, but it applies to either. I know many people use a single stat attached to several heat sources (usually mats in racks). In the majority of cases, this works fine, but the thermostat is only really controlling a single mat. If one of the mats that doesn't have the probe nearby overheats, then the thermostat will not switch off the power to that mat. It could even catch fire and the thermostat would be unaware of this.

What usually happens in practice is that people use several mats which are similar enough that they all heat to the same level as the controlled mat. If an object (such as a snake) is placed above one of the uncontrolled mats, though, the heat doesn't dissipate as quickly as the controlled one and it can overheat.

As I said - most people don't have a problem with this, but I don't like to see it recommended as good practice, that's all.
I absolutely agree with you in principal. I specifically haven't gone into any details about using multiple heat sources from one stat as it was more intended as a overview at novice level. But yeah, where mupltiple heat sources are used, they should ideally be identical in setup and be using the same wattage mats (for example) - that's actually how I have my juvenile rack set up now.

Where does the article mention muliple heat sources? I'll edit that out. You should leave a comment on the piece :)

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I absolutely agree with you in principal. I specifically haven't gone into any details about using multiple heat sources from one stat as it was more intended as a overview at novice level. But yeah, where mupltiple heat sources are used, they should ideally be identical in setup and be using the same wattage mats (for example) - that's actually how I have my juvenile rack set up now.

Where does the article mention muliple heat sources? I'll edit that out. You should leave a comment on the piece :)

This is the bit:

"My hatchling / juvenile rack, which currently houses Scully and Rowntree, is heated by heat mats underneath each tub. These are controlled by a single Microclimate B2 “Pulse Proportional” thermostat."

btw - Good idea to post something about using them, though. :no1:

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
This is the bit:

"My hatchling / juvenile rack, which currently houses Scully and Rowntree, is heated by heat mats underneath each tub. These are controlled by a single Microclimate B2 “Pulse Proportional” thermostat."

btw - Good idea to post something about using them, though. :no1:
Ah yeah, I see it now! Yeah I might edit something into that to clarify. I'd actually like to do another one on setting up a RUB rack as I personally found information to be a little patchy when I was trying to iron out the teething issues with mine, which was frustrating. Another day perhaps :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts