Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is starting to twist my mellon now...

Today I bought a Ceramic bulb and fitting to raise the temperature at night as last night it was far too cold for my Iggy (64.3°F at the basking spot).

Now I want to control the temperatures during the night and day. I use a 100w lightbulb during the day for heat and will have the ceramic on at night, or maybe during the day too. Both of these, and the UV are controlled by timers. What Habistat thermostat is right for me?

I would like an all in one unit if possible but it's so confusing. Please help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Get a double dimming stat :). Not totally necessary for the ceramic, but a good option for the basking bulb. So a double wouldnt hurt :).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Christ yeah do not leave the ceramic on without a stat!

I leave my basking bulb on without a stat at the moment but i need to get a dimming stat as soon as really, as with the central heating the temps are slowly creeping.

I would go for a double dimmer if you can mate, just to save hassle, but otherwise yeah dimmer for basking bulb and pulse for ceramic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the ceramic will be ok without a stat, it is only a 60w one. I have the light on and the ceramic and the temp at the basking spot is 98°F. I moved the light fitting up a bit higher earlier today so the temperature isn't as high.

But I will get a 'stat just to be safe :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd definitely have the ceramic on a stat - they can get roasting hot without.
I'd go for a day/night dimmer stat and just have the ceramic as the sole heat source - you could just use a low wattage bulb (12w or 25w uncontrolled) for lighting.

Although a pulse proportional stat is maybe the best for a ceramic, I reckon a dimmer stat would be the best option here because you could then use it with an incandescent bulb at some point if you needed to.
A dimmer stat may not be quite as accurate as a pulse prop but (judging by my ones) you're only looking at a degree F or so difference.

As far as I know you can't get a double dimmer stat - the double Habistats are just the on/off type.
Unless they've brought out a new one?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mark67123 said:
As far as I know you can't get a double dimmer stat - the double Habistats are just the on/off type.
From what I have seen you are right there...

:?

Maybe it is the wine, but I am properly confused now, lol. I only want one probe in the Viv, but want the ceramic on all the time because that provides background and night heat, and the light comes on during the day to boost up the basking spot heat.

:?

This is soooo confusing, keeping lizards was so much easier when I was 13 and had no money LOL

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you get a day/night dimmer (or pulse) stat you can set it so that you get higher day time temps, then a drop at night, from just one ceramic.

If you need a light in there you'd only need a low wattage one as the ceramic would be able to provide both the day and night temps if used on a day night stat.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mark. I made up my mind now, with the help from you guys. I am going to get the Day/Night Dimmer stat and continue to use my ceramic and light bulb, but use a timer to turn the light bulb off at night.

I found a website with some decent information on these finally as all the places were a bit tight with exactly how they worked etc. Shame my local reptile shop had every other stat in stock except for the one I wanted.

Bums... :(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just a quick point - in case you were thinking of trying it - you can't plug both the ceramic and the bulb (on timer) into one stat, because when the stat reduces the power to the heater, the timer will slow down.
You could plug both into the stat and manually switch the light bulb, that'd work ok.

You may well be setting it up another way but just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
sorry to be a thread robber... do you mean to say if i got a dimming stat and ran my basking bulb off it... it would mess up the timer im using?

cheers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mark67123 said:
Just a quick point - in case you were thinking of trying it - you can't plug both the ceramic and the bulb (on timer) into one stat, because when the stat reduces the power to the heater, the timer will slow down.
You could plug both into the stat and manually switch the light bulb, that'd work ok.
I was going to have the light on a timer, and the ceramic on all the time, that would be ok wouldn't it?

I see what you mean though... Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the timer is plugged into the trailing socket of the stat it won't work properly due to the stat reducing the power and causing the timer to run slow.
If the stat it self is plugged into a timer (eg.at the wall socket) then no problem.

Tony - did you mean you want to have the light on the stat along with the ceramic, with the light being switched by a timer?
(So you have an adaptor on the stats trailing socket with ceramic plugged in one side and lamp on timer plugged into another side.)

If this is the case it won't work - the timer will run slow so the light will end up being on at night and off during the day eventually, unless you constantly adjust it - like every couple of hours! :?

Are you using a higher powered light bulb for heat or just a low wattage for light only?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I see your point! BUMS!!!

I guess my best option now would be to ditch the light bulb I use for heat and get a higher wattage ceramic. I only have a 60w at the moment, that is fine for a night temperature, but not enough for a day temp all on its own.

Then eiter buy another UV tube for the front of the viv, or a low watt light bulb for light during the day.

I have just ordered a dimming day/ night stat too, now I am thinking I would be better off with a pulse one and only use the ceramic for heat.

:(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry,

I am using a 100w bulb for light and heat and a 60w ceramic for heat. The bulb is right above the basking the spot and the ceramic is near the middle of the viv.

If I use the ceramic for only for heat I would put that above the basking spot and put a lower wattage light bulb in the other socket for light and a tiny bit of heat for the right side of the viv.....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No problem with the day/night dimmer stat - does basically the same job as a pulse proportional stat only it's more versatile. You can't use a pulse prop for lamps - they'd just keep flashing!

What you could do is use your day/night dimmer stat just for daytime heat from the 100w light bulb, and just put the 60w ceramic on a mat stat. Ok, a mat stat won't control a ceramic as accurately as a pulse or dimmer stat, but it'd do the job of controlling the background heat ok, and they can handle up to 100w.

Pretty cheap mat stats from here:
www.camzoo.co.uk/

I reckon a second stat of some kind is the only way to do your original plan - you could use a household dimmer switch but in my experience most aren't very well made and not very reliable.

How big is the viv? Length/height/depth?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thinking! I'll keep the dimmer for when I build my big viv it may come in handy to just run the lights. I'll plug it all in on Wednesday when the stat should arrive and I'll just mess about with the set up before splashing out any more dosh.

But now I am thinking a low wattage bulb is the way to go.

The Viv is 48h x 36l x 25d

Thanks for all the help so far :D

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
ummmmm someone is probably gonna tell me this is wrong but all I do with the Ceramic I've is keep the ceramic on the Stat but have the light set on a normal electrical timer so the light comes on regular as clockwork from 8am till 6pm and the ceramic is constantly on a stat maintaining background temp.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Issa said:
ummmmm someone is probably gonna tell me this is wrong but all I do with the Ceramic I've is keep the ceramic on the Stat but have the light set on a normal electrical timer so the light comes on regular as clockwork from 8am till 6pm and the ceramic is constantly on a stat maintaining background temp.
From what I know (very little lol) that is ok to keep a steady background temp through the day and the night but I want a drop of 20°F through the night.

Based on what I have learned today that is what I will be doing, but the stat will automatically turn the ceramic down at night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts